Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 10-16-2008   #31

Default Re: Blu-Ray vs DVD sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinthicum View Post
www.vudu.com

Movies on Demand using high-speed Internet.
1080p HD movies available.
Movies can be rented or purchased.
HDX is a new format or compression technology they just released a few weeks ago.
No subscription service, just upfront cost for box and each time you rent or buy, etc.

Std Box holds 50 movies and XL model holds 500 movies.
From Engadget,

Unfortunately for VUDU, when it comes to home entertainment, picture quality isn't everything. Among the remaining barriers to acceptance over Blu-ray is the fact that although the movies are encoded with Dolby Digital Plus, the box is only capable of letting you enjoy old fashioned Dolby Digital -- either way, a far cry from TrueHD or DTS-HD. Oh, and you still can't own HD movies. And HDMI is required for any HD viewing. The download speed is limited to 4Mbps, so even if you have a 20Mbps connection, you'll still have to wait four hours for an HDX title to download. On top of all that, the box costs $300 and is a one trick pony -- even Blu-ray players sell for less now and can upconvert DVDs
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #32

Maybe I missed the memo, but since when did Engadget become the expert go-to source for pro-AV & HDTV information?

Most of the time, you get what you pay for. Yes, there are Blu-Ray players in the sub-$300 range. There are also far superior Blu-Ray players that are over $500-$600 too that sell quite well to the folks who want and appreciate them. Granted, it's not a main stream market item and they aren't sold on the shelves of local stores, but then again, you won't find a Porsche on the local CarMax lot either.

VUDU is upgradeable via firmware updates, so I'm sure as new audio and video formats come out, there will be available upgrades to apply. How many movies that you've rented in the past year are encoded for full Dolby Digital? In the same vane, how many movies have you watched or rented in the past year that have Dolby Digital Plus ?

HDMI is not the only HD output from a VUDU. VUDU also has output via Component Video for those of us that want to share or distribute an HD movie to multiple monitors or displays throughout a home. Granted, it's not the $300 std VUDU box that'll let you do that, you've got to purchase the XL box from an installer and we'll be glad to show you how (both) the HDMI port and the component video ports are active simultaneously for HD viewing.

Seeing is believing...dont' knock a product you haven't tried and seen for yourself.

HiTech Upgrades.com
clinthicum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinthicum View Post
Maybe I missed the memo, but since when did Engadget become the expert go-to source for pro-AV & HDTV information?

Most of the time, you get what you pay for. Yes, there are Blu-Ray players in the sub-$300 range. There are also far superior Blu-Ray players that are over $500-$600 too that sell quite well to the folks who want and appreciate them. Granted, it's not a main stream market item and they aren't sold on the shelves of local stores, but then again, you won't find a Porsche on the local CarMax lot either.

VUDU is upgradeable via firmware updates, so I'm sure as new audio and video formats come out, there will be available upgrades to apply. How many movies that you've rented in the past year are encoded for full Dolby Digital? In the same vane, how many movies have you watched or rented in the past year that have Dolby Digital Plus ?

HDMI is not the only HD output from a VUDU. VUDU also has output via Component Video for those of us that want to share or distribute an HD movie to multiple monitors or displays throughout a home. Granted, it's not the $300 std VUDU box that'll let you do that, you've got to purchase the XL box from an installer and we'll be glad to show you how (both) the HDMI port and the component video ports are active simultaneously for HD viewing.

Seeing is believing...dont' knock a product you haven't tried and seen for yourself.
Engadget is a good place to go for information on a lot of stuff.
Movies I've watched in the last year that had full Dolby Digital = all of them (over 100)
Now how about Movies I've watched in the last year that had lossless audio = almost everyone of them (100+).
Most every Blu-Ray I have watched has a lossless track.

According to that Engadget story you are wrong about watching a HD movie over component,
You still can not buy HD movies & HDMI is required for HD viewing.

Also I'm not waiting 4 hours for a movie to download!

I'm telling you one more time to quit trolling this thread & start your own thread, next time you'll be reported.
Old 10-18-2008   #34

From Engadget,

Once again Iron Man topped the Nielsen VideoScan charts courtesy of Home Media Magazine, but that is the most surprising news this week. Although Sleeping Beauty isn't exactly the quintessential example of a Blu-ray demographic title, we expected it to garner more than a nine percent of DVD's market share. For starters has mass appeal, but more importantly, the Blu-ray version included the DVD as well. Considering you got all that for about $10 more, it lead us to believe it'd sell better on Blu-ray then it did. Obviously the combination of getting both versions for a few dollars more wasn't as popular as many expected. We're not saying say Blu-ray had a bad week, because the revenues for this week were only second to last week (all time). We do expect next week to be better though, because Kingdom of the Crystal Skull should sell pretty well. Sure, it won't sell anywhere near as well as Iron Man did its first week, but that isn't saying much, as Iron Man is the current record holder. A record it will continue to hold until December 9th when the Dark Knight is released.

While 46% down might not look good but when you consider that was just against last week which was up 145% it's still a good week.

i wish they would put put numbers for the year instead of just comparing them to the previous week.

personally I passed on the Indiana Jones movie, I'll wait until the box set comes out!
Old 10-18-2008   #35

I agree. I believe this is positive. As I stated a while ago, I believe as the dust continues to settle from the format war (Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD, and people believe this will stand for a while, then I think we will see greater sales.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #36

3rd week in a row that Blu-ray has had a double digit share!
Sponsored Links

Tags
2009, blu, bluray, cable, chart, conductor, dvd, hdmi, hdtv, high, monthly, ray, sales, speed, versus, vs