Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Software (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software-49/)
-   -   Warner Bros. Cutting Blu-ray Movie Prices This Fall (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software/2219-warner-bros-cutting-blu-ray-movie-prices-fall.html)

TheMoose 07-14-2008 06:48 PM

Warner Bros. Cutting Blu-ray Movie Prices This Fall

Warner to cut Blu-ray price this fall!

From Gizmodo

Is this is it? The beginning of decent Blu-ray movie prices? Warner Bros. is going cut prices on a smorgasbord of Blu-ray movies for retailers in September (some as low as $11), meaning you should see the them slide at least a couple of bucks.

No word on the complete list (it is lengthy though) or exact date, but some of the many flicks getting the cheapness are: The Shining, The Aviator, 300, and I Am Legend. Hopefully this'll push some of the other studios to lower prices as well, so Blu-ray flicks are more in line with DVD cost-wise. If there's one kind of war we love, it's a price war.

This needs to be done & the sooner the better, better & lower priced standalone players will be hitting soon & getting the price down on software too will really get J6P buying Blu-Ray.

PRO-630HD 07-14-2008 10:24 PM

Re: Warner Bros. Cutting Blu-ray Movie Prices This Fall

About time this $25 to $35 crap at walmart of all places is ridiculous. It will never mass market at those prices. Kudos to Warner and Lionsgate for making $20 MSRP titles a reality.

wes 07-16-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRO-630HD (Post 16595)
About time this $25 to $35 crap at walmart of all places is ridiculous. It will never mass market at those prices. Kudos to Warner and Lionsgate for making $20 MSRP titles a reality.

Very cool, I might start building a Blu Ray collection, I have about 500DVDs that I bought over the years yes that is a lot of money when I think about it, ouch!! ($10K)

timbre4 07-17-2008 07:59 PM

The DVD investment is one thing, I starting offing titles that I knew were coming in Blu Ray. Since there is a DVD glut, I didn't get much for them.

As to "reasonable" prices for HD releases, they're getting better but weren't too bad to begin with, other than Fox's delusional pricing (but they've always had that streak).

Real whining goes back to purchasing laserdiscs; how quickly we forget the $125 boxes or the "Definitive" Star Wars with a $249 list price.

HD at the $30 level is still an incredible bargin. $20 is even more amazing.

EDIT: I've already amassed 60 Blu-Ray titles because of many incredible special buys.

wes 07-17-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbre4 (Post 16637)
Real whining goes back to purchasing laserdiscs; how quickly we forget the $125 boxes or the "Definitive" Star Wars with a $249 list price.

I never bought laser disc, very few VHS tapes at $20. I stopped buying DVDs the day Blu Ray came out and started renting rather than buying. I refuse to pay more than $20 for a movie, I like $15 much better. :)

rlpiii 07-18-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbre4 (Post 16637)
EDIT: I've already amassed 60 Blu-Ray titles because of many incredible special buys.

Same here, but I have a good mix of HD DVD too, especially since Toshiba pulled out.
I saw a few days ago Fry's is finally blowing out all their HD DVDs. They were priced ~ $9.99 - $12.99 from the ones I saw.
Since I have dual capability in my main 3 listening rooms, I still pick-up HD DVDs when I can find good buys.

After all, HD DVD is still way better than regular DVD.