Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 04-29-2008   #19

Default Re: Netflix vs. Blockbuster.com for Blu-ray titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I have had an occasional problem with this too, both with SD DVD and the newer formats as well. I am always amazed at how badly some of the discs are scratched up, it is almost like the were used as moving discs on asphalt before being sent back in!

I doubt this is specific to type of disc, just shows how careless some renters are. I would suspect Blu-ray to be more susceptible to this, but haven't seen this yet, over the years I have had several SD DVD's that were unplayable, or most least favorite, played until the final chapters then died out. I have to date only had one high res disc fail, and have rented many but as these players become more common, this might be more of an issue, only time will tell.
It's not carelessness it's maliciousness!
I'm sure most of the damage is intentional, it's why you should never buy a used rental car or a used rental movie!!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #20
rex

Quote:
I am always amazed at how badly some of the discs are scratched up . . . I would suspect Blu-ray to be more susceptible to this. . .
Actually, due to the protective coating Blu-ray discs should be much less susceptible to scratches and other damage.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
Actually, due to the protective coating Blu-ray discs should be much less susceptible to scratches and other damage.
That is what the propaganda says inside most blu-ray movie cases.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #22
wes

Thumbs down Re: Netflix vs. Blockbuster.com for Blu-ray titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
That is what the propaganda says inside most blu-ray movie cases.
Belonies they are more fragile than DVDs I have returned my fair share of blu rays to BB.

I wonder what people do with rental discs use them for coasters!! That is why I refuse to buy an expensive blu ray players as after a while the rental discs damage the player.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
That is why I refuse to buy an expensive blu ray players as after a while the rental discs damage the player.
Wes,

The disc is spun exactly the same as any other disc, regardless of how scratched it is.

The laser is the only thing that 'contacts' the scratched surface, so I do not see how a scratched disc damages a player.

Am I missing something??
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #24
wes

Cool Re: Netflix vs. Blockbuster.com for Blu-ray titles

Quote:
Wes,

The disc is spun exactly the same as any other disc, regardless of how scratched it is.
The laser is the only thing that 'contacts' the scratched surface, so I do not see how a scratched disc damages a player.

Am I missing something??
For what ever reason the laser get dirty and needs to be cleaned, often
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2009, blockbuster, blockbustercom, blu, blue, blueray, bluray, charge, copies, cost, movie, netflix, ray, rental, versus