Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 04-25-2008   #13

Cool Re: Netflix will charge extra for Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
Now that Netflix will be charging more for Blu-ray, Blockbuster is looking better: http://gizmodo.com/382375/netflix-to...lu+ray-renters
I'm not aware of a extra charge for BLU RAY disc rental...... I pay the same price as reg. DVD's though NETFLIX --- are you saying that they plan to RAISE the fee? I'm thinkin' that would not be a wise idea---as they become more readily available, they should of charged more back when there was only a handful,and only the most demanding users were using BLU RAY, not later, when it becomes the "norm" for many.......

Last edited by cameltoegeo; 04-25-2008 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: mis spell
cameltoegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #14

Default Re: Netflix vs. Blockbuster.com for Blu-ray titles

I personally wouldn't care or notice.

I have had Netflix for over eight years and in that time they have actually LOWERED my monthly membership twice, so I am paying less per month than eight years ago.

Based on their business model of a fixed monthly fee, I can't see how they would charge a per Blu-ray fee without serious restructuring. If they add a couple dollars to the monthly, I would continue to use them.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #15
wes

Cool Re: Netflix vs. Blockbuster.com for Blu-ray titles

I used Netflix for three years as their customer service became a nightmare, I switch to blockbuster and now have the choice to go to the store as well to get Blu Rays
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #16

Hopefully, corporate minds for both companies, we`ll get it right.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichFo View Post
I realize that Blu-Ray discs cost $10-$15 more than standard DVDs, but they will rent out these discs hundreds of times.
Would the average Blu-ray disc last long enough to be rented hundreds of times? I've had a couple of fairly recent NetFlix BD releases recently that would not play they were scratched so badly, so I have to wonder what the actual average life-span is. I know they have machines to polish damaged discs but at some point the discs must be retired (re-sold or sent back to the distributor) right?
oildalemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildalemonkey View Post
Would the average Blu-ray disc last long enough to be rented hundreds of times? I've had a couple of fairly recent NetFlix BD releases recently that would not play they were scratched so badly, so I have to wonder what the actual average life-span is. I know they have machines to polish damaged discs but at some point the discs must be retired (re-sold or sent back to the distributor) right?
I have had an occasional problem with this too, both with SD DVD and the newer formats as well. I am always amazed at how badly some of the discs are scratched up, it is almost like the were used as moving discs on asphalt before being sent back in!

I doubt this is specific to type of disc, just shows how careless some renters are. I would suspect Blu-ray to be more susceptible to this, but haven't seen this yet, over the years I have had several SD DVD's that were unplayable, or most least favorite, played until the final chapters then died out. I have to date only had one high res disc fail, and have rented many but as these players become more common, this might be more of an issue, only time will tell.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2009, blockbuster, blockbustercom, blu, blue, blueray, bluray, charge, copies, cost, movie, netflix, ray, rental, versus