Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 04-23-2008   #7
wes

Cool Re: Netflix vs. Blockbuster.com for Blu-ray titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs350z View Post
wes, what do you mean that bluray is marginal over dvd? there is a huge difference. get a good movie, and play it on a nice 1080p tv, and there is nothing close to it. if you can't see the difference, something is wrong with your gear.
Marginal in terms of releases not quality I agree that quality is far more superior
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008   #8

Thumbs down Re: Netflix vs. Blockbuster.com for Blu-ray titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
I was very pleased a couple of months ago when Netflix announced that they would dramatically increase their BD inventory.
"Netflix will add as many as 1,500 Blu-ray titles to its existing 400 titles this year, as customers ditch Toshiba’s discontinued HD DVD format and converge onto a Sony’s Blu-ray format." http://www.videobusiness.com/index.a...dustryid=47213
However, so far I haven't seen much sign of this. In fact, even the titles that they carry are seldom available "now". All of the BD titles in my queue say "long wait" or at best "short wait". What gives?
Does anyone use Blockbuster.com? I wonder if they are any better?
Netflix also announced that it will be raising the price of its BD rentals. Sighting that people should pay more for superior content. This is a step backwards for BD adoption.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008   #9

Question Re: Netflix vs. Blockbuster.com for Blu-ray titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Netflix also announced that it will be raising the price of its BD rentals. Sighting that people should pay more for superior content. This is a step backwards for BD adoption.
Yes, the cost increase was already mentioned a few posts up, but why are people so upset about NetFlix raising prices on BD rentals? The physical discs themselves cost more (unfortunately) than a standard DVD so it makes sense to charge more from a business standpoint. When you rent a car, do you get the premium model for the same price as the economy model? I know I don't.
oildalemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008   #10
wes

I guess that Blockbuster.com might start getting more customer from Netflix I used to be a netflix customer and switch to blockbuster.com as I can get new movies a lot faster rather than waiting three weeks, also I aways can drive to the store to get new movies!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008   #11

Default Re: Netflix vs. Blockbuster.com for Blu-ray titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildalemonkey View Post
Yes, the cost increase was already mentioned a few posts up, but why are people so upset about NetFlix raising prices on BD rentals? The physical discs themselves cost more (unfortunately) than a standard DVD so it makes sense to charge more from a business standpoint. When you rent a car, do you get the premium model for the same price as the economy model? I know I don't.
There's a difference, Do you price rental cars all at the same price and when there is no more economy cars you go up on the price? It's classic bait and switch.They made profits when they were priced the same as DVD's. Now you will have fewer people renting BD's opting to buy only when its a must have - other than that, just up convert. It really does hurt mass adoption.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #12

I realize that Blu-Ray discs cost $10-$15 more than standard DVDs, but they will rent out these discs hundreds of times. I don't know what the premium that Netflix will charge to rent Blu-rays, but if averages even just $1.00 per rental more, that represents a huge profit over standard DVD rentals. If it is $1 to $2 a month extra for a plan that includes Blu-Rays, that is reasonable. They will more than make up for the extra cost of the discs. I can still rent DVDs from my local grocery store for $1.00, the only reason that I signed up for one of these services is for the Blu-Rays, I hope they don't end up trying to gouge us.
RichFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2009, blockbuster, blockbustercom, blu, blue, blueray, bluray, charge, copies, cost, movie, netflix, ray, rental, versus