Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 04-11-2008   #7

Default Re: Blu-ray Now In 10 Million Homes

"Clearly, those ad dollars are working to both beat off Toshiba and Microsoft..."

Come again?

mm
mullinsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #8
wes

Cool Re: Blu-ray Now In 10 Million Homes

Sony screwed up with SACDs they over charged and instead of using digital originally they went the analog route with 6 RCA cables to plug in? Who wants to deal with that!!! I have an SACD player and have 8 RCA cables to play SACD and regular CDs, but I can understand why regular folks said forget it that is not worth it. In addition all the labels did not agree to release their music in SACDs so the format thrived in Classical and a bit in Jazz but on every other music style it tanked.

This time Blu Ray has everyone support that is a hughe difference, all the studio see $$$ at $30 a disc, good luck I won't replace my 500 DVD collection any time soon way too expensive. If the studio where smart they would offer an upgrade path as I mentioned earlier
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #9

Thumbs down Re: Blu-ray Now In 10 Million Homes - Something stinks here

In December on '07 the Blu-Ray Disc Association, the trade group overseeing Blu-Ray, which includes Sony, Apple, HP, Dell and on and on reported that TOTAL sales were up to 2.7 players sold. This was for both game consoles and entertainment units. There mus have been a hell of a lot of sales in the last 4 months to reach a 10 million homes figure.

Honestly, I've been dealing with these so called Market Research for over 35 years and most of them are full of crap. Most have a business model based on Weegie Board information.
PALMYRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #10

OH, the link to the association

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/index.html
PALMYRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #11

I spent much of the last 2 weeks researching using Blu-Ray as a high rez carrier for audio only and it has been hard work absorbing all the format options and licence implications - my head has been spinning. A hardware manufacturer wanting to put out their own Blu-Ray players needs to put GBP250000 on the table for starters just for a licence. Then there are various opt-in options and licences which the cheap players are going to have to leave out to meet the budget if the format is to achieve escape velocity. I can't see many pure audiophile brands wanting to find that sort of cash to do their own players. The consumer regular players already out there are some of them v1.0, some like the Panasonic are v1.1, then later in the year we'll have v2.0 to make all the early players obsolete. Then we have HDMI which has been a moving target. Then AACS. Then our old friend regional coding which is annoying for those of us overseas who do shopping from US sources.

My guess (no crystal ball required) is that most audiophiles will stick with vinyl and CD, plus a few SACDs here and there. Also labels are likely to stay away from spending money on building a catalogue of another format if it does not feel a certainty. For audio on its own for Blu-Ray the data can be pressed on to cheap DVD9 discs in an X3 format AVREC previously known as BD9, but still there are issues about compatibility and unless I have got the wrong end of the stick not all players will play hi-rez audio high sampling rate DTS at full resolution.

I believe it is only a matter of time before we simply get used to downloading high-rez lossless FLAC and wma files, then playing them off a home server. Linnrecords.com are doing some great work here. We listen to 88k2/24 at home off hard-disk all the time and it sounds very clean. The disc space is very cheap now, so is server space for labels.
TonyF12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #12

I too hope that the studios and others concerned will make it easy for Blu-Ray to gain precedence. However, there is not way in the world I'm going to buy a Blu-Ray movie it is going to cost $25 or more. They better lower their price drastically, at least for this cowboy.
wranglers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
avrec, blu, bluray, forum, homes, ipod, le, million, percentage, players, sur