Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 03-26-2008   #1
rex

Default "Memento"

Last night I saw "Memento" on BD. Has anyone else seen this movie? If so, what did you think of it? I first saw it when first released 7 years ago on the big screen. At that time, I thought the backwards narrative was a clever gimmick, but wasn't otherwise too impressed. However, I must say that the second time thru I was completely fascinated by layers of meaning I had completely missed the first time. I guess during the first viewing, I was too busy mentally reconstructing the story line to pay much attention to deeper meanings.
This is one of the few movies that I enjoyed much more the second time. If you were unimpressed with the movie, I suggest you watch it again. You might be pleasantly surprised. I am now looking forward to watching it a third time, in order to listen to the commentary track.
For any who may be interested here is a link to a film critic's analysis: http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/...ento_analysis/
http://www.christophernolan.net/memento_un.php
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #2

Default Re: "Memento"

Actually the movie alternates between the beginning anmd end until it finally finsihes in the middle. Very bizarre film, and a great movie!

I agree it needs to be seen more than once to fully appreciate it, now if you can explain to me the polaroid in the final scene that has the lead character with the tatto that says I killed him on it?????

I've read many interpretations of the film, but no one can answer that one!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #3
rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I agree it needs to be seen more than once to fully appreciate it, now if you can explain to me the polaroid in the final scene that has the lead character with the tatto that says I killed him on it?????
I've read many interpretations of the film, but no one can answer that one!
The scene of him and his wife in bed, the triumphant tattoo on his breast, can't be a flashback. We've seen already that he doesn't have the tattoo, so he can't have had it in the past. How can he remember lying in bed with his living wife, with the tattoo "John G. raped and killed my wife" visible on his chest? It has to be a fantasy, which would make sense in the context. He thinks he has just avenged her (or has just set in motion a plan to avenge her). He's visualizing his own sense of satisfaction and peace.
Old 03-27-2008   #4

I haven't watched the film in a while, but as it was a photo, it sort of rules out the fantasy thing. I wondered if it didn't mean his wife never died and he some how found her and she got him the ink so he'd stop the hunt for himself, again, I need to rewatch the film to really comment, but to the best of my recollection, there is no answer that fits the movie.....
Old 03-27-2008   #5
rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I haven't watched the film in a while, but as it was a photo, it sort of rules out the fantasy thing. I wondered if it didn't mean his wife never died and he some how found her and she got him the ink so he'd stop the hunt for himself, again, I need to rewatch the film to really comment, but to the best of my recollection, there is no answer that fits the movie.....
Ken,
I am not sure what photo you mean. Is it a polaroid that Teddy shows Leonard, or the one that Teddy (or maybe someone else) slips under his door? (This photo shows a smiling Leonard, covered with blood, pointing to his chest.)
There is an actual scene near the end showing Leonard together with his (alive) wife and the words "I did it." clearly written on his chest, which I think can only be interpreted as a fantasy scene.
Remember Teddy has no reason to lie, (what he says will be forgotten anyway) so he is probably telling the truth when he says that Leonard has already killed the true murderer. If there is such a photo, as you say, then perhaps Leonard at an earlier time merely wrote this on his chest instead of tatooing it permanently, then subsequently forgot about it? Do you remember where this photo you mention appears in the movie?

Last edited by rex; 03-27-2008 at 09:38 AM..
Old 03-27-2008   #6

The pic I am referring to comes as the absolute last thing you see before credits roll, check it out and let me know what you think of it, it simply doesn't make sense...
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, chest, comparison, final, flashback, i, it, memento, movie, ray, scene, screen, tattoo, wavs, wife