Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 03-14-2008   #13

Default Re: DTS-HD MA & 1.5 Mbps DTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloneman View Post
What are the titles/formats of the disks the Halcro rep sent? I don't think anyone can tell you if they've heard them without knowing this, grin.
I meant to add a pic of the other side, but I had focus and glare problems w/ the camera I was using.

Black Cover - DTS Master Audio Presentation Disc (Blu-ray Disc)
Orange Cover - 2007 HD Master Audio Presentation Disc (HD DVD)
Yellow Cover - 2007 HD Master Audio Presentation Disc (Blu-ray Disc)
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #14
Super Moderator

Hmm. This makes me wish that a zoom control was available in the browser for use with images. I grabbed a copy of the image from the link on your original message and threw it into Preview, then magnified it there, but there just wasn't enough info in the file (its resolution is 640 x480) to see any detail on the covers. There appears to be different numbers of tracks on the disks (There looks like 10 tracks on "yellow" versus 8 tracks on "orange" and 3 tracks after these on each. There appears to be 3 tracks on the black disk). Is there common High Definition A/V content between HD DVD and Bu-ray disks to make a judgement call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
I meant to add a pic of the other side, but I had focus and glare problems w/ the camera I was using.

Black Cover - DTS Master Audio Presentation Disc (Blu-ray Disc)
Orange Cover - 2007 HD Master Audio Presentation Disc (HD DVD)
Yellow Cover - 2007 HD Master Audio Presentation Disc (Blu-ray Disc)

Last edited by kloneman; 03-14-2008 at 05:48 PM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #15

Sound seemed to be the same, but the video looked better on blu-ray.
Old 03-15-2008   #16

If they did a separate video encode for Blu-ray, the video should be at least marginally better IF they max'ed out the available bandwidth. Or the placebo effect is in play....

I watched a Blu-ray DTS HD MA demo at RMAF and the installer tried to "imply" I was listening to DTS HD MA rather than the 1.5 mbs core. Then I started to ask him hard questions about the Sony player because at the time, NONE of the Blu-ray players could decode/bitstream DTS HD MA. Nevertheless, the Peter Gabrielle DTS demo sounded pretty good. Was Peter on the Halcro-provided demo disks ?
oscar_in_fw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_in_fw View Post
If they did a separate video encode for Blu-ray, the video should be at least marginally better IF they max'ed out the available bandwidth. Or the placebo effect is in play....

I watched a Blu-ray DTS HD MA demo at RMAF and the installer tried to "imply" I was listening to DTS HD MA rather than the 1.5 mbs core. Then I started to ask him hard questions about the Sony player because at the time, NONE of the Blu-ray players could decode/bitstream DTS HD MA. Nevertheless, the Peter Gabrielle DTS demo sounded pretty good. Was Peter on the Halcro-provided demo disks ?
Yes, you probably heard one the discs I have.

All 3 have the same Peter Gabrielle demo.
Old 03-16-2008   #18
Super Moderator

I have not seen the videos, so I cannot comment on the picture quality of them. What I have noticed in past content is that the hardest tests of HD format though is motion of items that contain surface details. The compressors seem to blur the details of the surfaces in an unnatural way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_in_fw View Post

Tags
15, audio, blu, demo, dolby, dts, dtshd, hd, high, ma, mbps, ray, resolution, sound, true