Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 02-12-2008   #19

Default Re: Netflix Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

w0w... I almost bought a toshiba HD {A35} player just a few scant weeks ago, then opted for the PS3 80GB console instead, so I could play games ,as well as watch High DEf. DVD--- plus, can go online wirelessly, and can download games, demos right on it,too---all for about the same $$ I would have dropped on a HD player...now, joining NETFLIX 4 blu-ray rental...and all on my new Sony 52" Bravia XBR4....... glad I chose the "BLU RAY WAY"... otherwise, I'd be a bit DIS-GRUNTLED........ hmmmm...what can I add next...thinkin' some ambient lighting would be kewl...... Yooo, it's snowing here---gonna get 6"-8" over night...DANG! didn't get NETFLIX started soon enough......ohhh well, can always pull out the "SISAXIS" and play a game or two....... just save some "wrist-action" for that dam shovel in the 'morn!! :-) "may the 'TOE be with you"!
cameltoegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
Dvd players were at $299 within 2 years. They launched in Mar. 97 with the cheapest being $499. By xmas of that year they were $399 and next xmas of 98 $299.
They were down to $199 actually within 2 years.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #21

Okay I will go with that. Granted here people I am not talking about the average price. I am talking about the cheapest player.
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameltoegeo View Post
w0w... I almost bought a toshiba HD {A35} player just a few scant weeks ago, then opted for the PS3 80GB console instead, so I could play games ,as well as watch High DEf. DVD--- plus, can go online wirelessly, and can download games, demos right on it,too---all for about the same $$ I would have dropped on a HD player...now, joining NETFLIX 4 blu-ray rental...and all on my new Sony 52" Bravia XBR4....... glad I chose the "BLU RAY WAY"... otherwise, I'd be a bit DIS-GRUNTLED........ hmmmm...what can I add next...thinkin' some ambient lighting would be kewl...... Yooo, it's snowing here---gonna get 6"-8" over night...DANG! didn't get NETFLIX started soon enough......ohhh well, can always pull out the "SISAXIS" and play a game or two....... just save some "wrist-action" for that dam shovel in the 'morn!! :-) "may the 'TOE be with you"!
Wow, to be a boat in the stream of your consciousness...

'Toe, welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the snow, here in Florida it's been raining, we don't get much snow down here, so I'll be watching movies for a similar wet reason....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #23

It really is a shame. I started out heavily in the HD DVD camp because from all the reviews I had been reading the Toshiba hardware was much more reliable, well designed and certainly affordable than the early versions of the Blu Ray players. I just read where Samsung was being sued over their early models. Now I have both but even now with the latest generation of players I still think Toshiba put a lot more thought and quality into their players.

That being said, they are done. I just hope they continue to support HD in the form of combo players for those of us that have a fair amount of discs already collected because we weren't afraid to take the plunge into high def media knowing we were taking a gamble.

Last edited by msmith855; 02-13-2008 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: adding content
msmith855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #24

I still heavily debate if the better format won. I think big business pushed out the little guy just like the big 3 pushed out Tucker automobiles in the late 1940's. In June of 2006 when bluray launched to horrid reviews and a $1000 player, hddvd had stunning titles like Phantom of the Opera, Serenity, Unforgiven, Blazing Saddles, Constantine, U-571, Bourne Supremacy and while the initial blurays had virtually no extras Constantine had 8 hours worth, a lossless True HD track, pristine PQ, and IME to boot as did Bourne. It is scary how far behind bluray was at launch. They have caught up in quality but there players are a disaster at the monent.

I just got The Brave One the other day and the picture is stunning. VC1 can do wonders! On the verge of the TL-51 as well it is a shame Warner made the announcement when they did. We never got to see the format for all it was capable of.

Last edited by PRO-630HD; 02-13-2008 at 05:55 PM..
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, av, bac, bluray, cable, dvd, formats, group, hdmi, movie, netflix, sale