Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 02-11-2008   #13

Default Re: Netflix Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more4HDDVD View Post
$300 player pricing is gone
You mean the holiday sale of the Sony player ended. The MSRP was never reduced and most retailers never sold it for under $399.

Quote:
5 free blu-ray movies is gone
That was planned since before the "Blu-Friday" - October to be exact.

Quote:
Netflix is considering raising the price HDM rentals once 1 format is a standard
They don't charge for HDM rentals. Where have you heard they're raising rates? They're competing with Blockbuster Online who is dropping prices. Netflix just reduced their prices recently as well.

So "everywhere you look" must be a very limited number of places because the vast majority of retailers haven't raised prices, movies are still free, and you also missed the part where Blu-ray players were given away for free with the purchase of select TVs early last month as well.
Old 02-11-2008   #14

I believe the free players came with Sony or Samsung TV's that retail for a certain dollar amount. As long as the money goes back into the 'family' you'll get 'free' players.

The same can not be said for people on a tighter budget who purchase brands like Westinghouse and Vizio. For those consumers the HD DVD players might have proved to be a better buy due to their lower prices. However, with retailers basically dictating now what consumers can buy customers are either going to over extend themselves buying players they can not afford or worse staying away all together.

Either way, I don't think the decision ultimately rested with the consumer. If Blu-ray is to win (and it appears they have) I hope they step up and make it accessible for everyone for they have a long battle ahead of them with the reigning king we call DVD.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #15

Smile Re: Netflix Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

Quote:
Netflix is considering raising the price HDM rentals once 1 format is a standard

I just bought a Sharp BD-HP20U for $316.00 at 6th Ave. Electronics. ( A chain of AV retailors in the New York Area. They had it on their website fro $316.00 but wanted $395.00 in the store. When I showed them the printout from their website they matched the price. That is pretty close to $300.00 I have purchased from them in the past and have always had good experiances.
CliffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #16
JAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
With no competing format in HD DVD - expect Blu-ray to do whatever they want.

The truth is - they have to beat DVD and downloads next which is likely a bigger foe
Hold on Jerry, while Sony will obviously reap the benefits of Blu-ray licensing (as Toshiba did with the development and introduction of DVD), let's not forget that Sony is not the only movie distributor out there. With respect to Blu-ray movie sales, Sony Pictures will have to compete with the likes of Warner, Disney, Lions Gate, Universal & Paramount (once they wake up and smell the coffee) to name a few. So they'll have to keep their BD prices competitive since most consumers have a limited disposable income.

Likewise, Sony is not the only manufacturer of Blu-ray players. There will be the Pioneers, Philips, Panasonic, Samsung, Denon, LG, Toshiba (when they realize that they've lost this battle and have no more choice) and eventually a plethora of other brands we've never even heard of.

Just my 2 Canadian cents. ;-)
JAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #17
JAM

Quote:

We AV aficionados are all an impatient lo lot. Lets not forget that it took DVD players about 4 years in order to get to the $300 price point. I paid almost $800 (Canadian) for my Pany RP-91 progressive DVD player in 2001. At the time, there were only a handful of progressive models in the market. Now you can literally pick one up at your local drug store for $30.

Blu-ray players and HD DVD players haven't even been on the market for 2 years yet. Give them time buddy, with BD hardware competition and sagging DVD sales, prices will come down for both players and BD titles. :-)

The only down side is that their going to sell us AGAIN our preferred titles in HD and it's going to end up costing us AGAIN. Damn this hobby is expensive! When does this cycle end? :-(
JAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #18

Dvd players were at $299 within 2 years. They launched in Mar. 97 with the cheapest being $499. By xmas of that year they were $399 and next xmas of 98 $299.
PRO-630HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, av, bac, bluray, cable, dvd, formats, group, hdmi, movie, netflix, sale