Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Software (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software-49/)
-   -   Rumor: Universal Next Studio to go all Blu-ray (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software/1468-rumor-universal-next-studio-go-all-blu-ray.html)

JerryDelColliano 01-19-2008 09:46 AM

Rumor: Universal Next Studio to go all Blu-ray

Note: this is a RUMOR not confirmed fact.

I have heard the next studio to go to the Blu-ray camp is Universal. I also know the Microsoft and HD DVD camp players are digging in their heels the best they can to keep what market share they currently have. I was told not to be shocked if this move went down sooner than later.

Lesser sources say, they could target Fox to woo them over to the HD DVD camp but it seems pretty common information that the going price is $500,000,000 and my sources inside Microsoft say the Seattle software giant is unlike to pay that.

HD DVD can not afford to lose to many more battles and they know it. Universal could be the end of them for good leaving them needing to do a deal with Sony to get in on the Blu-ray party as best they can (assuming Sony would have them - which they will).

My guess is things will stay the way they are and that Universal will stay with HD DVD.

What say you - enthusiasts of all things HD!!! ????

TheMoose 01-19-2008 09:56 AM

Re: Rumor: Universal Next Studio to go all Blu-ray

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 9692)
What say you - enthusiasts of all things HD!!! ????

I say the sooner the better!!
The BD group needs to do whatever they can to end the war NOW, they need to work with Toshiba & give them a piece of the pie to end the war so they can get the market share they need to sustain HDM against the attack of the low rez downloads from Apple & Microsoft.

With the introduction of 720p downloads from Apple I can see Microsoft bailing completely from HD-DVD & rushing to getting their own download format released.

Now is the time for the HDM war to end.

Lotus 01-19-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 9696)
I say the sooner the better!!
The BD group needs to do whatever they can to end the war NOW, they need to work with Toshiba & give them a piece of the pie to end the war so they can get the market share they need to sustain HDM against the attack of the low rez downloads from Apple & Microsoft.

With the introduction of 720p downloads from Apple I can see Microsoft bailing completely from HD-DVD & rushing to getting their own download format released.

Now is the time for the HDM war to end.

They've had a 720p download format going strong for over a year with over 10M movies downloaded! Which is better than HD-DVD and BD combined!

MS is just as interested in HD-DVD as they are downloadable content. They go to two very different markets in their mind.

I hear we may hear something next week.

Dave123 01-20-2008 04:24 PM

OP, any updates?

PRO-630HD 01-21-2008 08:40 AM

Posted by Super XP on another forum.

"Below are a few quotes about a so called industry insider or he claims to have a credible source in the industry. He also posted somewhere that Toshiba will reduce player prices due to a major shift in the HDM industry for Q1 2008. I believe that shift was Warner going Blu.

So, what do you guys say?

Quote:
By nt300 edited Jan 21, 2008 - 2:05 AM

Recent Insider INFO – My Source speaks out to me via phone call – Jan 21, 1008

HD DVD will come back with a Vengeance. The DVD Forum is not stupid enough to let Sony's Blu-Ray format succeed SD DVD nor HD DVD. But keep dreaming everybody if you think Blu-Ray will win in the end. You can all expect 2 Major BD Studios shifting their allegiance with HD DVD exclusively between Q2 to Q3 2008. And one of them is not Warner Bros. Though I am sure they will soon follow within the Q4 2008 time frame.
The DVD Forum has had enough of this War and enough of the Blu-Ray manipulative business tactics. Expect a law suit by the DVD Forum against the Blu-Ray Disc Association because of their use of “DVD”.

Two major contributing factors for the 2 major studio shifts are going to be 1)Extremely well HD DVD player sales after Q1 2008 due to HD DVD promotional Groups extremely aggressive advertising which we’ve not even seen just yet and 2)The introduction of the TL51 discs with the TLTwin following about a month or so later due to the nature of the new triple layer twin discs replicating processes that will take a little longer than usual. Expect most of the TLTwin based films to be based on catalogue titles which should easily fit on the 4.7GB SD DVD layers.

Quote:
By nt300 posted Jan 17, 2008 - 4:06 PM

Sony caught buying Blu-Ray movies in the 10,s of 1,000's for all of 2007 to sway the numbers in Blu-Ray's favor.

I am hoping my source for this information comes out with an article soon about this monstrosity.
The BDA are up to no good trying to control the movie content we pay for to watch.

Quote:
By nt300 edited Jan 16, 2008 - 10:14 AM

Here is an e-mail I received by a fellow studio writer & a great friend. One studio to another studio.
-----------------------------------------------
Paramount/DreamWorks Home Entertainment - Classified Information.
Proposed list for 1st Quarter 2008 to 2nd Quarter 2008 HD DVD / More to come:

Titanic TLT
Braveheart TLT
Gladiator TLT
Deep Impact HD
The Prince of Egypt HD
Saving Private Ryan HD
Small Soldiers American Beauty HD
Cast Away TLT
Shrek 1 & 2 (Also Trilogy BOX Set w/P3) TLT
The Last Castle HD
A.I.: Artificial Intelligence HD
A Beautiful Mind HD
The Curse of the Jade Scorpion HD
The Time Machine HD
The Tuxedo HD
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas TL51
Shark Tale HD

Nothing is written in stone, but this is what I found out within the studio.
You owe me a beer lol,
-----------------------------------------------
I will let you figure out what the terms "HD", "TLT" & "TL51" mean."

A little bit of a twist taken from another industry insider. Are you saying Universal goes goes format neutral or bluray exclusive.

Reality check, they could have ended this a year ago. They were the only studio not supporting bluray. There has to be some very bad blood between these 2 companies. I believe this stems back to the VHS-Beta stuff as Sony filed a number of lawsuits against Universal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Co...y_Studios,_Inc.
Sorry, Universal will be the last studio to go neutral. They singlehandedly supported the format until Paramount went hddvd exclusive.

The other news does seem interesting as the Twin disc and excellent price points of the Toshiba players could make serious headway. Toshiba is not going after the HDM market with those prices, they are going after the dvd market. Kudos to them as that is the real beast to conquer. Twin format discs being one sided and having a HD-30 layer and a 4.7gb dvd layer on new releases and popular catalogue titles these would naturally work there way into American homes and the player prices would as well. Note they need to stop producing a dvd version though if the twin format is released.

Lotus any news of the MGM, Disney situation? You said it looked pretty favorable for additional studio support for hddvd a week ago.

Lotus 01-21-2008 11:59 AM

Universal makes their decision very soon.

It's looking very very very blue.