Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 02-01-2008   #31

Default Re: Rumor: Universal Next Studio to go all Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixDweller View Post
I heard that Peter Jackson is working on content for The Lord Of The Rings HD-DVD box set.
Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't it already announced that New Line was joining Warner Brothers in going Blu-Ray exclusive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixDweller View Post
I already have the Matrix on HD-DVD.
Yeah, where The Animatrix (a body of work far superior to either of the live-action Matrix sequels) got reduced to the status of an "extra," and was presented in standard definition. I think I'll wait to see if the Blu-Ray version corrects this egregious mistake (if it doesn't, I'll just get whichever version is cheapest).
gbeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #32

Quote:
I heard that Peter Jackson is working on content for The Lord Of The Rings HD-DVD box set.
What happened was that before the Warner announcement Microsoft went to WETA/Jackson to try to court them for an HD DVD exclusive deal. Jackson allowed MS to do some test authoring of LOTR to see how it would look on 30GB HD DVD. Basically, MS did all the work. There was never any signed deal or even a hand-shake agreement about where it would lead: it was exploratory (and New Line had nothing to lose by letting MS do the test authoring).

That's it.

Naturally since all the bonus material on the DVD sets was produced in 1080 HD, it's perfectly viable bonus material ready for any HD delivery when New Line deems the time is right for release.

New Line has been consistently telling insiders on both sides that they have no near-term plans to release LOTR on HD media. The assumption is that they'll wait to release it prior to the Hobbit's theatrical release when HD media has a broader market and they can use the release to increase interest in the theatrical projection.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #33

I bet if Mictosoft paid to have it released in HD - they would bend.

Money talks in Hollywood and I can tell you there are a lot of people with money here (present company excluded). Simply drive down Sunset Blvd today (a rainy day) and count the people driving their Ferrari's!!!!!

PS: did you guys see the Ferrari collector's theater with the slot car track, Wilsons, Halcros etc... Its new as of 2/1/08

http://modernhometheater.com/virtual...ari/slideshow/
Old 02-03-2008   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
Do you think Microsoft has turned it's back on HD-DVD?
Instead of buying a studio as rumors would have had us believe they just offered to buy Yahoo for $44.6 BILLION!
Between their CES show which said nothing about HD-DVD & this new purchase it seems they are looking towards greener pastures.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Do you think Microsoft has turned it's back on HD-DVD?
Instead of buying a studio as rumors would have had us believe they just offered to buy Yahoo for $44.6 BILLION!
Between their CES show which said nothing about HD-DVD & this new purchase it seems they are looking towards greener pastures.
------

Nope - they have the money for both and need both.

Google makes NOTHING yet their market cap is HUGE. Microsoft can cockblock them with buying a studio or two as well as try to hang on in the search game by buying Yahoo. They have THAT much cash.

If I were Balmer - where i would be scared is: Google is going to bid with or vs. Apple in an upcoming gvmt auction for wireless bandwidth. Imagine what they can do with that? How about a free OS, a free "office suite" etc.... MS would be in BIG trouble. That is why I think they are doing what they are doing NOW.
Old 02-04-2008   #36

Quote:
They certainly gave it a try before CES.

As for HD DVD,

why are folks still suggesting that MS has loyalty?

MS only wants three things out of HDM:

1. royalties from codecs and HDi (BD and HD DVD both do the first, HD DVD does the second)
2. low-bit-rate video encoding experience to pave the way for download HD
3. Keep both formats alive to confuse the marketplace as long as possible so that neither format really gain a foothold.

And to clarify before the rumors start to spread as I'm sure that they will, Microsoft will not be buying MGM to add a new HD DVD studio.

Last edited by DaViD Boulet; 02-04-2008 at 08:33 AM..
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2009, audio, beautiful, blu, download, egypt, hd, mind, prince, ray, rumor, studio, studios, universal, war