Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 01-04-2008   #1

Exclamation WB goes Blu-Ray exclusive! What does this mean for the war?

Is this the beginning of the end for HD-DVD or will it hang in there despite this news?

From http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews

Warners goes Blu-Ray exclusive!!

NEW YORK/LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Time Warner Inc's (TWX.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Warner Bros studio on Friday said it would exclusively release high-definition DVDs in Sony Corp's (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) Blu-ray format, dealing a big blow to Toshiba Corp's (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research) rival HD DVD technology.

Warner Bros, Hollywood's biggest seller of DVDs, representing about 18 to 20 percent of sales in the United States, was one of the few studios that backed both formats.

All sides of the format war had agreed it was confusing to consumers and a stumbling block for a potential multibillion-dollar industry.

Total DVD unit sales fell 4.5 percent in 2007, the first major year-over-year decline since the disc format debuted in 1997, according to Adams Media Research. Sales fell 4.8 percent to $15.7 billion.

"The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers," Warner Bros Chairman and Chief Executive Barry Meyer said in a statement.

News Corp's (NWSa.N: Quote, Profile, Research) 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Co (DIS.N: Quote, Profile, Research), and Lionsgate (LGF.N: Quote, Profile, Research) are among studios backing the Blu-ray format. Viacom Inc's (VIAb.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Paramount studios and General Electric's (GE.N: Quote, Profile, Research) NBC Universal release movies in HD DVD format.

Warner said it would continue releasing in the HD DVD format until the end of May, although those releases would follow the standard DVD and Blu-ray releases.

(Reporting by Kenneth Li in New York and Bob Tourtellotte and Peter Henderson in Los Angeles; Editing by Brian Moss)

Last edited by TheMoose; 01-04-2008 at 02:02 PM..
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #2

Exclamation Re: WB goes Blu-Ray exclusive! What does this mean for the war?

From USA Today

"The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers," Warner Bros Chairman and Chief Executive Barry Meyer said in a statement.
Old 01-05-2008   #3

Default Re: WB goes Blu-Ray exclusive! What does this mean for the war?

Seems the HD DVD PRG are in negotiations with the BDA about ending all of this.

Lets cross our fingers.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #4

Once again, Sony wins. Not necessarily on their merits but because of their deep pockets. Blu-ray may be the better format on paper and I hope now with this "war" seemingly drawing to a close everyone will now focus on making better players and extracting all that they can from the format. Or, can I only look forward to longer load times, constant firmware updates and inflated prices (now that there is no competition). I truly hope not. I hope Sony and Co. take this opportunity to show us all why Blu-ray should be the winner because up until now it was the format that made a lot of promises but somewhat under-delivered. I guess, just like the last couple of months surrounding this "war", we'll just have to wait and see...

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
Once again, Sony wins.
I'm not sure where that comes from, "again"?
They lost Beta to VHS, they lost Walkman to iPod, lost the handhelds (PSP) to Nintendo (DS) & just recently they lost SXRD rear projection to LCD.
Just what all did they win?

Quote:
Not necessarily on their merits but because of their deep pockets.
Well first off there are just as many stories saying that was not true as those that say it is but you can thank Toshiba for that if it is true, they laid the ground work with their buying off of Paramount & Dreamworks.
I guess that kinda came back & bit them in the ass didn't it!

Quote:
Blu-ray may be the better format on paper and I hope now with this "war" seemingly drawing to a close everyone will now focus on making better players and extracting all that they can from the format. Or, can I only look forward to longer load times, constant firmware updates and inflated prices (now that there is no competition). I truly hope not. I hope Sony and Co. take this opportunity to show us all why Blu-ray should be the winner because up until now it was the format that made a lot of promises but somewhat under-delivered. I guess, just like the last couple of months surrounding this "war", we'll just have to wait and see...
Most of what you are talking about is something we just have to deal with on new tech, as it matures problems decrease.
However with the PS3 I haven't had any of those problems (longer load times, constant firmware updates and inflated prices).
My load times are no different than my DVD players & I don't see firmware updates as a problem, I like firmware updates, my PS3 is now profile 1.1 & will be upgradeable to profile 2.0 & it didn't cost me anything.

Now I use mine for games also & it is always connected to the internet so when there is an update I know it right away so i have never had a problem with a movie not playing.
From what i have heard Kennyt say the updates are on the movie discs also making it easy to upgrade without the internet.

Personally I will not buy a standalone player unless it has an Ethernet port for the profile 2.0 stuff & most importantly firmware upgrades.

As for inflated prices, I gave $600 for my PS3 at launch, Sony lost money on the deal, so how is that an inflated price?
Also when is the last time tech got more expensive as it matured?
Sure the price goes up on high end gear & gear with new tech built in but basic players will come down in price.

Last edited by TheMoose; 01-07-2008 at 04:46 PM..
Old 01-07-2008   #6

Question Re: WB goes Blu-Ray exclusive! What does this mean for the war?

No one has answered the original question.
what does Warner going Blu mean to the format war?

1. Will Toshiba pay off Universal & hold on to paramount & Dreamworks & fight this out to the bitter end?

2. Will they make a deal with BD & start making dual format players & slowly wind down HD-DVD

3. Or are they looking for a way to cut their losses & let HD-DVD die a quick death.

I think #2 is most likely but it's just a guess, but with HD-DVD bailing out of CES there is something going on behind closed doors.

What do you think will happen?
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, bluray, date, dose, dvd, dvds, exclusive, exclusively, exclusivewhat, format, hd, mean, ray, war, wb