Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Software (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software-49/)
-   -   CES 2008 BD Predictions! (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software/1341-ces-2008-bd-predictions.html)

Lotus 12-26-2007 02:27 PM

CES 2008 BD Predictions!

Ok it's the day after Christmas time to guess what Studios are up to eh?

The big news is Warners won't be going BD exclusive. There won't be any major Studio news. I put any Studio switcheroos at around 33% chance of likelyness.

The problem for the BDA is this is the first year where they have to actually look really good. Why? Paramount and Dreamworks will be announcing HD DVD exclusive titles and likely be swinging for the fence.

So here are some guesses:

Disney: Snow White, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc. The Sixth Sense, Signs, Armageddon, National Treasure, Pulp Fiction,
Sony: Ghost Busters, Men in Black, Independence Day (Everyone knows the March Release Date),
Fox: The Alien Quadrilogy, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Planet of the Apes films, Fight Club
MGM: One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, Gone with the Wind. Bond Films.

Certainly most of those titles will be announced. Hard to say which Disney film will be first as far as their animated movies go. I'd guess Snow White.

kennyt 12-26-2007 04:13 PM

Re: CES 2008 BD Predictions!

I predict both formats will continue to fail to meet the needs/wants of the majority of people and will fail before the internet allows downloading of this res or better HD content.

Not to be pessimistic, but I am fed up with a format war..

TheMoose 12-26-2007 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 8017)
I predict both formats will continue to fail to meet the needs/wants of the majority of people and will fail before the internet allows downloading of this res or better HD content.

I doubt much will change in the format war & yea it does suck, however,
You just think the format war is bad, wait till it takes 20 hours to download a movie!

Lotus 12-26-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 8017)

We are 4 years from this being a possibility and even then the number of people who will invest in that speed of internet will not be near what either format could create in a market share.

While the Michael Bays of the world believe this is what is going on the sad reality is that downloadable content perhaps combined with nextgen sales may equal DVD in its boom.

However I wouldn't count on it.

So if people want next gen to take off then CES needs to have some excitement on both sides. So thats the purpose of this thread.

What kind of title announcement do you think could happen and would definately say "Bah the other guys can't approach this!"

I figure FOX and Lucasfilm could say Star Wars is coming to BD. I just don't see that happening.

Lotus 12-26-2007 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 8019)
I doubt much will change in the format war & yea it does suck, however,
You just think the format war is bad, wait till it takes 20 hours to download a movie!

That is the main reason even HD Downloadable Movies off of XBOX Live are only 720p.

kennyt 12-27-2007 04:39 AM

I don't know, I've heard all kinds of estimates for when the next leap in bandwidth will come, I don't believe any of them. It's not that I know inside info, just the opposite.

Remember when we were never going to get faster than 300 baud via a phone line? (yes, I'm dating myself here) We already have internet II running at speeds close to what I speak of between college campuses all over the country, so what does it take to make the next leap?

Historically it's just someone who figures out how to do it, and when that happens isn't predictable. MS would love us all to believe it won't happen for 7 years, then they look like they are studs when they get it out in four. Sorry for the rant, but unless something happens soon to settle this 'war' no one will win.

I for one have stopped buying players, though I've already bought 5-6 to date. The pre/pro world needs to catch up before I'll buy another one (well, I say that now....) and I don't know if that will happen @ CES this year or CEDIA, I guess it depends on the company.