Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 12-27-2007   #7

Thumbs up Re: CES 2008 BD Predictions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I don't know, I've heard all kinds of estimates for when the next leap in bandwidth will come, I don't believe any of them. It's not that I know inside info, just the opposite.

Remember when we were never going to get faster than 300 baud via a phone line? (yes, I'm dating myself here) We already have internet II running at speeds close to what I speak of between college campuses all over the country, so what does it take to make the next leap?

Historically it's just someone who figures out how to do it, and when that happens isn't predictable. MS would love us all to believe it won't happen for 7 years, then they look like they are studs when they get it out in four. Sorry for the rant, but unless something happens soon to settle this 'war' no one will win.

I for one have stopped buying players, though I've already bought 5-6 to date. The pre/pro world needs to catch up before I'll buy another one (well, I say that now....) and I don't know if that will happen @ CES this year or CEDIA, I guess it depends on the company.
Yes kenny, the war is not good. I`ve stood firm on this all along. No one wins, confusion and apathy abound, why do we need this? This was an area where if done correctly, the high end community I believe could have taken everyone else to the next level.

And I hear you on the pre/pro world. I was just saying on another thread today, that receivers, right now, are waay ahead of our high end pre/pros as far as connectivity and flexibility. Great to have superior sound and build quality, but if you can not use it to the fullest, what good is that!! Right now, Integra has done well with their new pre/pro.

deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #8

Default Re: CES 2008 BD Predictions!

Will Sony bring back the Betamax? Is a new Quadraphonic Turntable in the offing? My highly unknowledgeble viewpoint is that companies introduce products to try and capture a huge market share while making all other companies play catch up. Sometimes it's the product itself, sometimes it's the perception of the product in the market place. DB vs HD-DVD is more of this... in the long run they'll go VHS or Beta and we'll plug directly into our skulls... or whatever the next step is...
And remember I'm the guy who loves vinyl so what do I know?
narcoticprayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I don't know, I've heard all kinds of estimates for when the next leap in bandwidth will come, I don't believe any of them. It's not that I know inside info, just the opposite.

Remember when we were never going to get faster than 300 baud via a phone line? (yes, I'm dating myself here) We already have internet II running at speeds close to what I speak of between college campuses all over the country, so what does it take to make the next leap?

Historically it's just someone who figures out how to do it, and when that happens isn't predictable. MS would love us all to believe it won't happen for 7 years, then they look like they are studs when they get it out in four. Sorry for the rant, but unless something happens soon to settle this 'war' no one will win.

I for one have stopped buying players, though I've already bought 5-6 to date. The pre/pro world needs to catch up before I'll buy another one (well, I say that now....) and I don't know if that will happen @ CES this year or CEDIA, I guess it depends on the company.
They have the technology some countries like Japan pretty much already have it up and running just about everywhere.

The problem with the states is replacing the landlines. Which they are starting to do. It really will take years before we catch up. Some areas will be faster than others but again due to first getting the lines put in, then having customers pay for the faster speeds, it's not a viable option today or in the near future.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #10

My predictions,

I've heard rumors that Microsoft will swallow it's pride & release a Xbox 360 with a HD-DVD drive even though they have criticized Sony for including a Blu-Ray drive in the PS3.

There will be more media servers than you can shake a stick at.

Toshiba will announce they have won the HD war because they sold more players than Blu-Ray has.

Blu-Ray will announce they have won the war since they have sold more media.

Nothing will change, the war will go on, Joe 6 pack will remain on the sidelines & early adopters will still not be happy,
Everyone looses.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
My predictions,

I've heard rumors that Microsoft will swallow it's pride & release a Xbox 360 with a HD-DVD drive even though they have criticized Sony for including a Blu-Ray drive in the PS3.

There will be more media servers than you can shake a stick at.

Toshiba will announce they have won the HD war because they sold more players than Blu-Ray has.

Blu-Ray will announce they have won the war since they have sold more media.

Nothing will change, the war will go on, Joe 6 pack will remain on the sidelines & early adopters will still not be happy,
Everyone looses.

If you're right and MS releases a HD DVD 360... war over.

Meaning that both will survive, and it likely will spark more Studio neutrality in 2008 and keep Warners releasing on both.

Then it will be like choosing between Cable and Satelite or any of the other things with two formats. Consumers will win. That is who wins.

Even Sony will start releasing to HD DVD if the money is there and BD is healthy.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #12

War will not be over....

Too much $$ on either side for one to bow out.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links