Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 12-01-2007   #19

Default Re: Blu-Ray wins on Black Friday week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Well I use the PS3 for games & Blu-Ray (My only Blu-Ray player for now) & have somewhere around 70 Blu-Ray movies.
I also know several people who also have the PS3 & have as many movies as I do in Blu-Ray.
What does that do to your theory?
Not much. Since it's not a theory but reported data from Sony who (heres a shocker) knows everything you do with your PS3 if it's connected to the internet. They reported the low number of attachments. MS reported the same thing with their addon, although people do buy more titles for an addon than the ones who use the PS3 for a BD player. The majority of PS3 users who've played a BD on the system use it for gaming. Same for the addon, but the addon is like 1 attachment better (and I believe both fall in the 3 to 4 attachment rate area).

It also makes me hope your friends aren't paying $25 on average for the titles

Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #20

Quote:
Not much. Since it's not a theory but reported data from Sony who (heres a shocker) knows everything you do with your PS3 if it's connected to the internet.
The PS3 does not send Sony data about consumer movie-playback (at least not according to Sony).
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
The PS3 does not send Sony data about consumer movie-playback (at least not according to Sony).
It sends Sony basic use information. For instance that the PS3 was used for movie playback. It also sends Sony exactly what games you played and for how long.

MS does the same thing by keeping tabs with your Profile.

Again Sony has mentioned this data.
Old 12-02-2007   #22

Lotus,

can you point to any documentation for Sony collecting data this way? I had heard the opposite (that they do not).
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Wal-Mart doesn't report software sales to Nielsen so those weren't included.

Well according to this & many other stories this wasn't such a major change for software sales, Blu-Ray has has a 2-1 software sales lead for a long time.

Blu-ray has yet to lose a week to its rival this year, with Blu-ray holding a 2-to-1 average sales advantage. Achieving a nearly 3-to-1 sales advantage for the important shopping week despite an influx of sub-$100 HD DVD players shows that consumers continue to choose Blu-ray as their preferred high definition format.

I've always maintained that it will be software sales that decides the war, Studios don't sell hardware they sell software & will go to the side that can sell the most movies.
Toshiba & MS can throw all the cash they want at the studios but if the big sales numbers are in Blu-Ray that's where they will end up.
Yea MS has a lot of cash despite the initial failure of Vista to be widely accepted & the fact they have never made a profit on the Xbox consoles shows their willingness to throw money around but how long can Toshiba bleed $$ before it really starts to hurt the company?

It's going to be hard to spin this, despite the fact Toshiba had sold a bunch of players at fire sale prices Blu-ray still creams them on a very important shopping period.

I'm enjoying my cheap fire-sale hd-dvd and loving it! I just bought a Blu-ray so I can compare the two side by side. I don't care who wins this war now. I bought the blu-ray because it went under 200.00 on Newegg (got tired of waiting for the combo player to restock). Will this make me buy tons of blu-ray software - I don't think so. I will test the software in my computer (just like I did HD-DVD) and proceed from there. If the blu-ray PC drive performs well - then you might get $250.00 out of me for a stand alone. I was an early adopter for DVD - paid $600.00 for that player - I will never do it again. Both formats are great, but HD-DVD has the right pricing in mind (blu-ray has caught the vision in the PC world - why not the stand-alones)?
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Lotus,

can you point to any documentation for Sony collecting data this way? I had heard the opposite (that they do not).
Google it. I've read it in multiple articles over the last 6 months. I think the number is around 20% (that use it as a movie playback device). Sony released the data when bragging that attachment rates were similar to the 360 addon numbers that MS released.

Where is Sony getting those numbers? The machine tells them, if they say otherwise they're lying or the person saying it for Sony is clueless.
Sponsored Links

Tags
black, blu, bluray, colors, earth, friday, gonna, numbers, planet, ray, revolution, sale, sales, series, showed, true, valve, video