Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 01-29-2008   #187

Default Re: Blu-Ray wins on Black Friday week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornelithe View Post
And Lotus...even you have to be aware of Crytek's emphatic statements about Crysis not being able to perform on the PS3 or 360...granted this was early in Crysis' life cycle...but still, Crytek came out numerous times and stated the consoles couldn't do it, so to counter those statements with unconfirmed rumors from friends et al...is really not believable without some backing from confirmed sources, you gave the same response to the article that I posted.
This site isn't a "gamer" site nor is it a "AVS" like site. No one here has an agenda. So why lie to you? Instead of believing that a person must be lying why not wait and see what happens? I was obviously far more aware of what was going on than some game rumor sites. It wasn't unconfirmed rumors either. It was my wife. If my wife tells me something is being done in the gaming world, it's being done.

I didn't give the same response either. The difference is common sense and what I was stating went in the polar opposite direction.

As for Crytek's comments that was to sell the PC launch. They talk about how future tech it all is and promote DX10. They've never ignored the console market before and they likely won't in the future nearly half their business is from consoles.

Quote:
This is no different. Using reasoning and such, to determine what a game company is going to do...while it may make sense...it's not necessarily the truth until someone from the company confirms/denies it. Correct?
If a brand new company sure. However following the track record of a company it's generally considered that if someone reports that a company ISN'T following their normal protocols that you wait until the company confirms/denies it.

Quote:
And as for the DX10 comment, believe me man, I'm looking as hard as I possibly can, and what I can see is that the X360 runs a custom version of DX9.0c, that allows 'some' DX10 class-functionality (such as stream-out), but is not actually DX10 compliant. If you've anything else to add, I'd honestly like to read up on it... This is where I got my info from though.
It's not fully compliant. It's DX10 CAPABLE. That is an entirely different thing. With an update attached to the disc the 360 will be able to recreate much more of the PC experience than the PS3 can. However Crytek may decide to limit both games to just what the PS3 is capable of like the mass majority of games designed for both consoles. Still it's hard to say Crytek likes to push tech so maybe we will finally get a 360 game that has a PS3 port that truly shows off the 360.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #188

Sorry, I'm not calling your wife a liar, i'm just saying while it's the norm for you to accept her information, is not necessarily going to hold any weight until it can be backed by official confirmation, anywhere... I don't think that's really too much to ask, is it? Not to say either of you are lying, it's merely that so much rumor and misinformation flies around the interweb, that I'm finished with blindly accepting what people say. (It's haunted me in the past lol)

That having been said, my summation of the article I linked, was incorrect, all of today's press releases are indicating Crytek will be showcasing the CryEngine and Sandbox 2 engines on the consoles, not Crysis itself. So, my apologies for the minsinformation.

As for the last part, about the ports and such. I would honestly prefer, and my purchase choices will reflect this, games made for each console with separate developement teams. No ports. If that means the PS3 gets the game later, or the 360 gets the game later, so be it. But half-assed ports like Orange Box, I refuse to buy. I would rather not have the game, than have a poor representation of said game. It's that simple. So, whether it comes out for the PS3 or 360 or neither, or one, or the other etc... I just want the damn thing optimized for whichever system it's coming out on. Gaming and other entertainment companies need to be hit in their wallet when they put out a product like EA did for Valve. Both companies are responsible, not just EA.

Morne

Morne
Mornelithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #189

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not calling your wife a liar, i'm just saying while it's the norm for you to accept her information, is not necessarily going to hold any weight until it can be backed by official confirmation, anywhere... I don't think that's really too much to ask, is it? Not to say either of you are lying, it's merely that so much rumor and misinformation flies around the interweb, that I'm finished with blindly accepting what people say. (It's haunted me in the past lol)
I think we should treat people on here like they aren't every other website. I like to think that all you guys are honest and have no agendas.

Quote:
That having been said, my summation of the article I linked, was incorrect, all of today's press releases are indicating Crytek will be showcasing the CryEngine and Sandbox 2 engines on the consoles, not Crysis itself. So, my apologies for the minsinformation.
As far as I know Crysis isn't ready yet. They may have a playable level demo in time for the SXSW gaming convention in March. Most likely we see it around E3.

Quote:
As for the last part, about the ports and such. I would honestly prefer, and my purchase choices will reflect this, games made for each console with separate developement teams. No ports. If that means the PS3 gets the game later, or the 360 gets the game later, so be it. But half-assed ports like Orange Box, I refuse to buy. I would rather not have the game, than have a poor representation of said game. It's that simple. So, whether it comes out for the PS3 or 360 or neither, or one, or the other etc... I just want the damn thing optimized for whichever system it's coming out on. Gaming and other entertainment companies need to be hit in their wallet when they put out a product like EA did for Valve. Both companies are responsible, not just EA.
That's just not financially feasable. In an ideal world what you want would be great but there just isn't a financial reason to do it. So we will continue to see games designed for the 360 or PS3 that are "ported," over to the other console. Sadly it appears we will be seeing more games designed for the PS3 and ported to the 360. It is easier to do it that way from what I've been told by people who would know. Though it isn't that sad when you consider that not many 360 to PS3 games really pushed the 360 or even took advantage of its advantages.

Orange Box wasn't a half assed port they worked their asses off and Sony pushed them to release a product that wasn't ready. Orange Box is a prime example of a game that was made to match the PC capabilities that just couldn't be ported well after being designed for the 360. It would have benefited from a ground up PS3 design. If they had done that it would have been better on the PS3 than its current state.
Old 01-30-2008   #190

It may not be financially feasible for the company, but gamers will get more and more annoyed with these companies for their business practices. Whether Sony pushed EA to get a finished product is irrelevant. FRD/Ubisoft have delayed Haze multiple times now for various reasons, and whether Sony has any 2 cents on it or not, doesn't seem to be bothering them. Valve/EA should be penalized for not respecting their fan base enough (And yes, all gaming companies OWE their success to their fan base), to say no to any higher Ups, and put out a product that's equivalent to their vision. Yes, Orange Box should've been a ground up PS3 title. But, guys like Gabe Newell from Valve, tell me that they don't care about their customers, just about their profits. As I said, I won't be buying a game that's not been optimized for the system I intend to run it on. @ $60 a game, I might as well just drop trou and bend over for them.

Likewise, 360 owners should be upset at what they got, if it wasn't up to snuff with the current ability of the machine. It's about standing up for your rights as a consumer, something I believe firmly in. Alot of these companies feel like they can just tell us something is great, and we'll just buy it, and if we disagree...no repercussions. I think there needs to be repercussions and since the consumer drives their success, it should be the consumer who creates the penalty.

I have more to say, but I'm on lunch and need to get back to work, so I'll continue later.

Have a good one all,

Morne
Old 01-31-2008   #191

An on top of that...c'mon Lotus, Orange Box is garbage for the PS3, the game is mediocre at best in regards to hardware requirements... There should be absolutely NO problems with running it, given the hardware in the PS3. Say what you will about it's capabilities, but even you have to admit that the PS3 is MORE than adequate given the system requirements for the PC version:

"Pentium 4 1.7ghz
512 Meg System RAM
DirectX 8 Compat vid card"

The PS3 destroys those requirements in all areas. And given that the only real performance problems with Assassin's Creed were screen tearing, and the quality of what that game LOOKS like, over what Orange Box looks like...sorry, but EA and Valve failed miserably. If they gave into Sony's pressure, that's there problem. Not mine, or Sony's.
Old 01-31-2008   #192

Quote:
If they gave into Sony's pressure, that's there problem. Not mine, or Sony's.
The problem for Sony was that OB was out on the 360 and selling. It was "exclusive," and that really bugged them.

There is your problem and it is Sony's fault 100%. I've heard the story first hand from people at Valve. They were forced to deliver what they didn't want to.
Sponsored Links

Tags
black, blu, bluray, colors, earth, friday, gonna, numbers, planet, ray, revolution, sale, sales, series, showed, true, valve, video