Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 12-13-2007   #85

Default Re: Blu-Ray wins on Black Friday week.

Quote:
Hmmmm... the Toshiba disc was 5GB a LAYER and designed for 2 layers and two sides. So because you're wrong I'd say that is FUD.
No. Toshiba's proposal was for single-layer dual side. Just like laserdisc. They called it SD for "super Density Disc"

Dual-layer was Sony's concept.

The DVD forum married the two concepts into the unified DVD format we enjoy today. The spec allows for dual layer and/or dual side. Several early DVDs were indeed "flippers" just as Toshiba's format would have resulted. T2 was the industry's first continuous-play dual-layer disc to follow Sony's concept in full. It's the pattern of virtually every feature-title authored to DVD today.

Last edited by DaViD Boulet; 12-13-2007 at 09:36 PM..
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
No. Toshiba's proposal was for single-layer dual side. Just like laserdisc. They called it SD for "super Density Disc"

Dual-layer was Sony's concept.

The DVD forum married the two concepts into the unified DVD format we enjoy today. The spec allows for dual layer and/or dual side. Several early DVDs were indeed "flippers" just as Toshiba's format would have resulted. T2 was the industry's first continuous-play dual-layer disc to follow Sony's concept in full. It's the pattern of virtually every feature-title authored to DVD today.

Ok this is all FUD by you or revisionist Sony history or something.

Phillips created the MultiMedia CD. Sony jumped on and helped make some revisions. I find it amusing the dual layered MMCD from Phillips is being referred by you as "Sony's idea." I'm sure the brilliant men at Phillips love you labeling their brain child "Sony's concept."

Meanwhile the entire rest of the industry from JVC, Pioneer, Matsu****a, and yes Toshiba were behind the SuperDensityDisc or SDD. SDD became DVD....

but how?

Well you see Lou over at IBM said "Guys we can't have another VHS vs Beta!!!" Then Lou got Phillips involved in making a revision to SDD. They combined many aspects of the 2 techs, but primarily the scratch resistance, etc. The changes were referred to as Revision 1.5 and it became DVD as we know it today.

Because some of the tech from MMCD was used both Sony and Phillips were able to make money off DVD. Meanwhile Toshiba and Time Warner who helped develop SDD together got a piece too.

This is what Time Warner and Toshiba hoped would happen between the two formats today.... and it may have happened if Stringer had been CEO of Sony at the time. He unfortunately wasn't.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #87

Yeah, the trend is you consistantly skew your numbers, leaving out PS3 models sold. Leaving HD-DVD in an obvious, but false advantage. Software sales are still far far far ahead in BR's favor.

Morne
Mornelithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornelithe View Post
Yeah, the trend is you consistantly skew your numbers, leaving out PS3 models sold. Leaving HD-DVD in an obvious, but false advantage. Software sales are still far far far ahead in BR's favor.

Morne
In what world is far far far ahead actually around 1.1 to 1?

Bourne Ultimatum is about to break the HDM record.

Sales of HPOotP are better on HD DVD.

Warners cares less about the PS3 than I do.
Old 12-14-2007   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
In what world is far far far ahead actually around 1.1 to 1?

Bourne Ultimatum is about to break the HDM record.

Sales of HPOotP are better on HD DVD.

Warners cares less about the PS3 than I do.
Yawn, still doctoring the details to suit your needs I see. Whatever, think what you will man, I don't honestly care. BR software and hardware sales speak for themselves. Any person who really looks at this in an unbiased manner would see through your half-truths.

Btw, 72% of market share in Europe, and 95% of market share in Australia most likely constitutes a bit more than 1.1 to 1. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure your math just doesn't add up.

Last edited by Mornelithe; 12-14-2007 at 08:04 AM..
Mornelithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornelithe View Post
Yawn, still doctoring the details to suit your needs I see. Whatever, think what you will man, I don't honestly care. BR software and hardware sales speak for themselves. Any person who really looks at this in an unbiased manner would see through your half-truths.

Btw, 72% of market share in Europe, and 95% of market share in Australia most likely constitutes a bit more than 1.1 to 1. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure your math just doesn't add up.
Ok you're crazy.

What does Australia and its market have to do with anything? Europe too for that matter.

I didn't know we even thought of them when discussing Black Friday numbers.

Doctoring details? There are 80 some odd more titles available on BD than HD DVD. The only way you can truly grade sales is on similar titles.

Obviously the new players that HD DVD that are flat out killing BD with are going to be buying new titles because that's just the way consumers are.

So you're saying that the sales of this week don't matter?

I thought BD was supposed to keep that 3 to 1 edge?

They aren't. Because the new HD DVD owners appear to be buying HD DVDs and they seem to like Bourne Ultimatum which could possibly be the first 200K title in a week.
Sponsored Links

Tags
black, blu, bluray, colors, earth, friday, gonna, numbers, planet, ray, revolution, sale, sales, series, showed, true, valve, video