Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 12-13-2007   #79

Default Re: Blu-Ray wins on Black Friday week.

Official Hardware numbers are in just for Black Friday:

HD DVD: 35,000 units sold.
BD: 19,000 units sold.
COMBO: 3,000 units sold.

So an almost 2:1 advantage on just that one day. Since then HD DVD has been at around a 3 or 4 to 1 advantage for every day since (and before BF). It was worse on Monday where the internet had their BF.

For the weekend itself:

HD DVD: 66,000 units sold.
BD: 26,000 units sold.
COMBO: 4,000 units sold.

It was the second best weekend ever for HD DVD and the best weekend ever for BD.

For the following week:

HD DVD: 48,000 units sold.
BD: 11,000 units sold
Combo: 1,000 units sold.

Anyone seeing a trend?
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #80

Quote:
You got one thing right it was an authoring delay for FOX but more was involved than just BD+. It's not a coincidence that when they started releasing again was when BD Replication facilities had turned a major corner in replication yields in some facilities doubling and in other tripling yield rates. BD+ was also ready at the time. It is true that FOX used BD+ as one of many reasons for their delays. Profit margins was also a big reason.
Very possible. Though every reliable insider has placed the bulk of Fox's delay on BD+ security (is it just coincidence that they released product as soon as BD+ was ready, with BD+ security?). And yet that still doesn't back up any indication that they are secretly pro-HD DVD, only that there might have been factors other than just BD+ they wanted addressed to proceed. That's very different than casting their temporary absence from the HDM arena in the way it was suggested by another poster.

Quote:
Where as most on here may post something wrong from being just simply mistaken. You however know better than to post things like "initially may cost a little more," and the other little digs you put in your posts. You're supposedly a journalist for DVD File right?
If that's the best example of my "FUD spin" I've committed I claim "Guilty!". yes, I have indeed suggested that BD's higher duplication costs are temporary and will shrink over time... and even if they don't exactly match replication costs of HD DVD cent for cent, I propose they will fall close enough as to become negligible... just like dual-layer DVD surcharges aren't prohibitively more than single-layer DVD manufacture today.

That "spin" of mine is *hardly* in the same area as suggesting that Toshiba's 5GB-limited continuous read DVD proposal was better than Sony's 4.7/8GB single/double-layer contintinuous-read disc we have today.

Last edited by DaViD Boulet; 12-13-2007 at 02:48 PM..
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #81

Quote:
Anyone seeing a trend?
Are we seeing software sales follow that hardware trend?

Could be that lots of HD DVD consumers got a second player for the bedroom. (that's not FUD, that's humor... )

Also, it will be interesting to see how the sub-$300 BD hardware affects the hardware sales ratios this December/January.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #82

Unhappy Re: Blu-Ray wins on Black Friday week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Could be that lots of HD DVD consumers got a second player for the bedroom. (that's not FUD, that's humor... )

Also, it will be interesting to see how the sub-$300 BD hardware affects the hardware sales ratios this December/January.
Hey, where is this sub-$300 blu-ray player (I'm so upset at mine I'm ready to chunk it!)
Some blu-rays play and others play half way and others don't play at all.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #83

Quote:
That "spin" of mine is *hardly* in the same area as suggesting that Toshiba's 5GB-limited continuous read DVD proposal was better than Sony's 4.7/8GB single/double-layer contintinuous-read disc we have today.

Hmmmm... the Toshiba disc was 5GB a LAYER and designed for 2 layers and two sides. So because you're wrong I'd say that is FUD.

As for impying that FOX is secretly Pro-HD DVD you're insane. I don't see one post on here that claims or even implies that was the reason for the delay. There were many reasons and the best PR reason was "BD+" so it was what was shouted from the mountain tops.

To suggest Peter and the guys at FOX were secretly pro-HD-DVD is crazy talk.

BD+ however no longer has any baring on decisions because it's been cracked.

Peter however will never admit error for FOX to go HD DVD it would have to come from over his head.
Old 12-13-2007   #84

Quote:

Yes, you're seeing software sales mirror the hardware trend. Specifically on titles released on both formats (the best way to pass judgement). Obviously certain titles like POTC being brand new will skewer overall sales numbers just as The Simpsons would. The Bourne movie kind of cancelled out the POTC edge though.

Still Harry Potter is not selling 3 to 1 on BD over HD DVD nor is it 2 to 1.

BD guys better go buy that title fast and in a hurry because...

well lets just say they better improve the software numbers.
Sponsored Links

Tags
black, blu, bluray, colors, earth, friday, gonna, numbers, planet, ray, revolution, sale, sales, series, showed, true, valve, video