Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 12-07-2007   #55

Default Re: Blu-Ray wins on Black Friday week.

Lotus,
In a day and age where any analyst can be bought and sold, I find it interesting that you'd accept one persons report on which console is better. I personally, am sick of the fanboy garbage, and M$ and Sony's propaganda machine. So, I actually did the research myself. The biggest problem in both these machines is a supreme lack of RAM, however, altogether, the CBE processor is vastly superior to the 360's, and hell, even any processor out on the market currently (accept for Suns new Server on a chip...that thing is intense), 3-Core PPC chip (7 cores vs 3 hmmm, not sure there...wonder who wins?). Secondly, both GPU's in these machines are relatively 'last' gen, when you take into consideration the 8800+ series lines from NVIDIA, and whatever half-assed attempt ATI has made on a DX10 card. However, that having been said, Sony made sure, with the inclusion of BR and HDD standard in all of their consoles, to allow for a serious amt of data transfer from disc to HDD into game, w/o the need for the extra RAM. This will hurt both machines (RAM), in the future, but the 360 moreso, than the PS3. The reason being is that, Microsoft has yet to start making games on HD-DVD's, nor do they have that option without alienating more than half or more of their install base. Microsoft cannot force their entire user population to get HD-DVD attachments, and therefore they cannot utilize the extra space available to them in HD formatting. Secondly, the PS3's data transfer rates are vastly superior to the Xbox (1 tflop vs 2 tflops). Again, PS3 wins. Thirdly, the RAM in both machines. Microsoft has 512meg of shared DDR3 @ 700 Mhz between the CPU and GPU, PS3 has 256 Meg dedicated to the GPU, and another 256 Meg of XDR Ram @ 3.2g dedicated to the CPU. Got any of that in your PC? Not yet, as Rambus hasn't released the 1g sticks to the PC market. It should be mentioned also, that the latency of the XDR RAM is FAR less than even DDR3 RAM due to the architecture of RAMBUS' chips.

Apparently, people neglected to read my post from earlier, but that's ok, I'll reiterate here. Currently, most games are designed with 1 core in mind, and I'm talking 95% of games here. The PS3's primary core, does not function the same as most PC's or the 360's primary core does. The PPE (Primary Processing Element) in the CBE (Cell Broadband Engine) stops, starts and schedules processes for the SPE's (Synergestically Processing Elements). Therefore, when porting a game to the PS3, developers need to remove processes from the PPE and push them out to the SPE's. This is being done with fantastic results by Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Konami (MGS4), Rockstar North (GTAIV), Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo 5) granted we've yet to see these serious titles yet, but they are coming and the strides being made in graphical quality (Avg polygons from Gran Turismo 4 per car model 4000 vs avg polygons from GT5 200,000) are easily apparent. When you have lame developers like Valve's Gabe Newell, who refuses to adapt to new technology, dumping their game off onto an internal developer, who sucks no less (EA), this hurts the industry, not just the PS3. Thankfully, Sony has more internal developers than both MS and Nintendo combined, and are currently working on 15 exclusive titles for the PS3, so I don't personally have to put up with a shoddy work ethic, and developers who aren't willing to actually think outside the box (god forbid). Let Valve and EA die a slow death. The PS3 isn't going anywhere as long as BR is creaming competition in software sales (and it is, market penetration for BR players vs HD is vastly higher in BR's dept, and software sales are again, vastly in BR's favor) regardless of Mr. Newell's apocolyptic proclamations from the pulpit.. And the PS3's ability for long-term staying power, over the 360's is readily apparent to those who do a little bit of looking.

Brian

Last edited by Mornelithe; 12-07-2007 at 06:39 AM..
Mornelithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Ratchet is so far the best game for the PS3...

Heavenly Sword is ok but really not that good. Your opinion may very... but it wasn't very good to me.

Assassins Creed is entertaining and at least really cool to see the ancient cities so carefully recreated... but it's another example of the 360 being graphically superior with much better frame rates. However if you havent seen the 360 version it will still be entertaining. Plus its got the freakiest ending I've seen to a game in a long time.
Frame rates for Assassins Creed are better because, again, there are many a shoddy developer out there, that isn't taking the time to port games properly to the PS3. It proves nothing graphically, it only proves that a game that's coded very poorly for one console, can look almost exactly the same as one that's coded perfectly for another. Which honestly, doesn't really say much about the 360. We're 2 years into the 360's life, and the PS3 has matched already, it's graphics. Next year, you'll see the PS3 starting to take the lead, and likely the year after, the 360 being completely left in the dust.

So far here are the games i've played and my impressions:

Heavenly Sword - I know alot of people really got annoyed with how much cinematics there were in the game, and at times it was annoying to me as well, but overall, I liked the story they were telling, and Andy Serkis' crew (LoTR series), did a fantastic job with the character modeling. All in all, a pretty short game, but the environments were fantastic, the combat was intense and enjoyable, and far less repetitious than Assassins Creed.

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - Gotta say this is probably the best game I've played on the PS3 thus far, had me glued to the TV for about 2 days before I conquered it. Only issue with this one is that it was pretty quick. Environments and Dynamic lighting here exceed anything I've seen thus far on the PS3.

Armored Core 4 - Great game, lots of fun, but I still think the best Mech game on the market is the Xbox 1's Steel Batallion (granted the game costs $250 new, but it's still a sick game).

Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Amazing game, and quite difficult, don't think you're getting through this without some serious hair pulling.

Assassins Creed - When I first started playing it, it was great, after about 5 hours into it, my opinion changed. The mind-numbing repitition in this game saps my will to live. 2 side quests that are the same in each of the 9 locales....how ingenius. The only real 'challenge' is finding the Flag's in each area. Graphics were beautiful, but the gameplay was severely lacking.

Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection (PSN Download) - Awesome, always have and always will love the Tekken series. More characters than Tekken 5 and more than Tekken 3. Works for me. And all characters have some new moves. Rock on.

Warhawk - A little disappointed that there isn't any single player, but that was pretty much erased when I started my first online game. Very beautiful environments again, intense air-to-air combat, that really puts you in the machine w/ the six-axis functionality turned on. Love it. Only Chief Sergeant at the moment, but I'll hit General (someday).

Gran Turismo 4 HD - Even though Polyphony Digital abandoned this, for a full new GT5 version, I downloaded it via the PSN, and have played it virtually everyday since. One track, but it's the new Eiger track, so it's not something that was actually in GT4. Lots of fun and can still post my best times online.

Resistance: Fall of Man - God I love this game, and playing Co-Op is great too. Almost makes it worth the buy just because the Church of England got ****ed. Booo, down with the papacy! Great environments though, lots of different things to kill and bonuses' to achieve etc... love it!

Brian
Old 12-07-2007   #57

And, this most recently published article:

http://www.tvpredictions.com/business120707.htm

Four Major studios releasing exclusively to BR, 2 for HD-DVD. Warner possibly thinking about going BR exclusive, which would give them 70% of the market.

Not a good sign for HD-DVD.

Brian
Old 12-07-2007   #58

Quote:
Even the BD is useless. Most programmers will tell you that Heavenly Sword could be made for the 360 and look better without any problems. There just isn't a reason for the BD in the unit other than to play movies.

Most programmers would also know that a game that's specifically designed for performance on the PS3 would have to be completely reworked and redone entirely, in order to even function on the 360. I'd really like to see them chopping out 16g of data, fit it onto the 360, and have it look even remotely like the PS3 version. On top of that, most programmers also know that a game made by SCEA, would obviously never show up on a 360. Also, I'm pretty sure most programmers are aware that you can't use motion sensitive controls on a console that has no motion sensitive....controllers. Again, it would be a completely different game than what was released for the PS3. So sure, take out a ton of audio, video, motion sensitive functionality, and you got yourself a great game hehe....

Brian
Old 12-07-2007   #59

Quote:
Do you have any clue what you're talking about?

Sure the PS3 suffers from games being ported to it, but all that shows is the systems inability to handle HD Anti-Aliasing and is the reason for the major and it is major generally half the FPS of the 360. That is because...

The 360 is vastly superior at graphics. Sure the processor is potentially more powerful but the GPU on the PS3 is seriously lacking. The reason some companies are going to port to the 360 is because they hope it will improve the FPS of the PS3 title. Which it might, but that game will not be as good looking as it could have been because it was designed for the graphically inferior product.
The PS3 ports suffer from lazy programmers that don't want to learn a new system.
Games like Dirt (that I have played on both systems) do look better on the PS3.

Quote:
Sure the processor is potentially more powerful
Do you know what your talking about?
The PS3's processor smokes the 360's.

Quote:
I wish I could google the thread written by one of the premier programmers in the industry about the 2 consoles and why the 360 is superior and the total graphics differences but I haven't been successful at it yet.
Would that be the premier lazy programmers from Valve or EA?

Quote:
Even the BD is useless. Most programmers will tell you that Heavenly Sword could be made for the 360 and look better without any problems. There just isn't a reason for the BD in the unit other than to play movies.
Well Mornelithe already stated the obvious flaws in that statement & I'll add future proofing, the amount of storage on a Blu-Ray disc will allow things we haven't even thought of yet.

Quote:
The PS3 as a superior console is just Ken Kutaragi's wet dream and obvious ignorance of the competition.
Wow, your Sony Hating side is showing!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #60

Quote:
Wow, your Sony Hating side is showing!
Moose,

that can't possibly be true. Lotus is 100% format neutral... he's said so...

DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
black, blu, bluray, colors, earth, friday, gonna, numbers, planet, ray, revolution, sale, sales, series, showed, true, valve, video