Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Software (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software-49/)
-   -   FOX needs to get a clue. $40 for DIE HARD? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software/1108-fox-needs-get-clue-40-die-hard.html)

Darren 11-20-2007 03:21 PM

FOX needs to get a clue. $40 for DIE HARD?

I feel like I'm back in the laserdisc days. $40 for a huge blockbuster mainstream movie on Blu-ray? Are they out of their minds?

If they're trying to prevent BD from penetrating the average consumer base, they're doing a helluva job!

TheMoose 11-20-2007 04:23 PM

Re: FOX needs to get a clue. $40 for DIE HARD?

Yea that's way too high, no way I was going to pay that at BB!!
So instead I paid $80 for the 4 movie box set in Blu-Ray at Amazon, the $20 each that averages out too made it an easy decision.

I've bought most of my Blu-Rays at Amazon because they average $5-$10 less than BB or CC.
With all of the Buy 1 get 1 free & 1/2 price sales I've doubled the number of Blu-Ray movies in my collection in the last 2 months.
The $14-$17 I've paid on the sale prices is much easier to swallow.

Lotus 11-20-2007 05:40 PM

Yeah high priced discs aren't selling the way they would if they were $20.

If I could goto Best Buy and get high def titles for $20 I'd fill up my library at a rate of 10 times what I've got (and I've only been buying about a week now, and have 3 titles).

Robinson_A 11-20-2007 06:55 PM

Die Hard 4 should be the cheapest Blu-ray disc yet, along with Spider Man 3 and Ratatouille. Those three films going into the holiday shopping season would be enough for fence sitters to jump on the Blu-ray train. But like all things Blu-ray they're pricing themselves out of the market yet again. While most savvy shoppers will jump on-line and pick up DH4 for less, the vast majority of consumers still get their content by traditional means. BB displays Blu-ray discs along side SD DVD's and when looking at the yellow tag with the price, one being 13.99 and the other being 39.99 the decision for 99.9% of consumers out there is a no brainer. This is just plain silly on Sony's part.

Lotus 11-21-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robinson_A (Post 6515)
Die Hard 4 should be the cheapest Blu-ray disc yet, along with Spider Man 3 and Ratatouille. Those three films going into the holiday shopping season would be enough for fence sitters to jump on the Blu-ray train. But like all things Blu-ray they're pricing themselves out of the market yet again. While most savvy shoppers will jump on-line and pick up DH4 for less, the vast majority of consumers still get their content by traditional means. BB displays Blu-ray discs along side SD DVD's and when looking at the yellow tag with the price, one being 13.99 and the other being 39.99 the decision for 99.9% of consumers out there is a no brainer. This is just plain silly on Sony's part.

To be fair the MSRP of that $13.99 disc is $29.99 isn't it? So one is getting sold at MSRP the other is heavily discounted.

To me the worst is, that to get the Unrated version where McClane and others cuss you must get the DVD version. My only problem with DH4 was the fact that you could tell they dubbed lines (and frequently) to get a PG13 rating. The uncut version likely seems more like a Die Hard film and less "Weird," from all the dubbing.

chipmonkmrl 11-21-2007 04:40 PM

you should see the retail prices here in UK.... Fox charge for DH4 around UK Pounds 27 (US$ 50-55).... at HMV branches on London's Oxford Street.... their "top" prices for single disc editions are an almighty UK Pounds 29 (US$ 58-60) !!!!! Just like the old laserdisc days!!! A couple of months back I bought "Speed" , a blockbuster in its day.... and guess what? They rated this as a top-of-the line release at the full UK Pounds 29 (US$ 58-60)!!!!!
No wonder they are complaining about a lack of consumer interest here.... Yes, we can also buy them online from Amazon, and others, but the price saving here is not as great as that offered to US sites.... We might save around US$ 10, approx.

Looks like for 2008 I gots to get me a US PS3 ('cos we are region 'B' here in Europe) or maybe even a dual-format player, so that I can take better advantage of US pricing.... on average my US supplier at DVD World USA offers us pricing at UK Pounds 13.99-17.99 delivered.... and then I could avail myself of the massive US Blu-Ray catalog that we simply don't get here.... same as with DVD titles, AND laserdsic before then....

But.... in my opinion, all of the Fox BD discs in my collection are extremely well put together in their mastering, with AVC codecs from the off (well, certainly here in Europe) as well as extremely high bit rates for MPEG4, resulting in superb quality.... giving us the quality in picture and sound that looks more like the real deal.... This coming 'holidays' we see the release of Master and Commander which will be fantastic.... but, please, can anyone "over there" tell me when we can expect to see classics such as Alien/Aliens or preferably,because it WILL be cheaper, the whole boxset on Blu-Ray???? I am hungry for it!

I've tried a couple of Warners BD discs in the UK, and they had poor bitrates, so were identical to their HD DVD counterparts. I believe I am correct in saying, and from I've SEEN, Warners simply use the HD DVD master to duplicate for BD production, thereby negating any benefit the BD format might have.... to say they looked a bit "ropey" is an undersatement... unless WB have improved their discs in the past 3-6 months?

This is Chipmonk in London signing off....