Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Software (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software-49/)
-   -   Is Sony preparing to raise a white flag? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-software/1053-sony-preparing-raise-white-flag.html)

Lotus 11-12-2007 01:38 PM

Is Sony preparing to raise a white flag?

Howard Stringer gave a speech on Thursday.

In it he made some claims that shocked a lot of people including that if he had it all to do over again he would have agreed to the merger of HD DVD and BD. If he could merge them today he would. He also said that the whole fight has become a matter of prestige for the two companies and that the whole war "doesn't mean as much as all that."

While he's suggesting it's not important who wins, and he did mention that BD isn't leading like it was before (which he blamed on Paramount/Dreamworks), he also laid some hints that this war may be coming to an end.

Behind the scenes he has made some pretty big moves. Including opening the possibility that Sony will make a HD DVD player. An olive branch is being offered to Toshiba.

For HD to succeed the "war," has to end. That doesn't mean there can't be two formats but the fighting must come to a stop. Howard Stringer has seen this and may be moving towards some kind of peaceful solution.

From what I've heard it might start with Sony going neutral and requesting Toshiba to do the same. Does this mean the Studio will go neutral? I think they may well be considering it.

Sony may be thinking that if they can make an "even," playing field they will win because they have the better technology. That people would choose to spend a little more for a better presentation (on average).

If Howard keeps going down this path and they actually do go neutral then all I have to say is Howard Stringer is the man!

tigeraudio2007 11-12-2007 01:44 PM

Re: Is Sony preparing to raise a white flag?

Or is this because Sony is taking such a loss on each PS3 and player sold, that the notion of defeat is somewhere in the back of their minds.

BTW: Yes Blu-ray has 50GB discs, but they are in no way a better technology. I have become astounded at the amount of dot crawl present in most Blu-ray presentations. I don't see that in the HD DVD presentation though. Most Blu-ray's have a slightly less than detailed look to them. Blu-ray is now notorious for having a softer picture.

Lotus 11-12-2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 (Post 6164)
Or is this because Sony is taking such a loss on each PS3 and player sold, that the notion of defeat is somewhere in the back of their minds.

BTW: Yes Blu-ray has 50GB discs, but they are in no way a better technology. I have become astounded at the amount of dot crawl present in most Blu-ray presentations. I don't see that in the HD DVD presentation though. Most Blu-ray's have a slightly less than detailed look to them. Blu-ray is now notorious for having a softer picture.

Why then have they been receiving better reviews from magazines both online and conventional?

Somewhere someone has averaged in the ratings and on some sites only BD titles have received a perfect 10 score for picture.

PS3 sales are extremely below expectations but so are BD sales.

HD in general is not doing near what everyone had estimated or hoped for.

Consumers don't like "war." So maybe Sony has the right idea. End the "war," aspect while they have the lead.

JerryDelColliano 11-12-2007 01:56 PM

Sony could have ended the war before it started - why now?

Blu-ray and HD DVD discs are content specific. Some look great. Others don't. I can cite examples from both formats that are good and bad.

I don't see Sony throwing in the towel at this point but I could see the HD DVD camp offering an olive branch to end this. The studios might also lean on Sony to agree.

Lotus 11-12-2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 6167)
Sony could have ended the war before it started - why now?

Blu-ray and HD DVD discs are content specific. Some look great. Others don't. I can cite examples from both formats that are good and bad.

I don't see Sony throwing in the towel at this point but I could see the HD DVD camp offering an olive branch to end this. The studios might also lean on Sony to agree.

Stringer has always been a pretty decent guy going back to his days at CBS. He wasn't the CEO at the time of BD in R&D. He's had some serious problems with the PS3 and even attacked the guy who was behind that.

His speech the other night wasn't the same song Sony has been singing, but a whole new tune.

It's obvious that sales are either hurting because people don't care about the performance increase (hard to believe) or they don't like the format war. I really think a lot of people aren't buying in either because they don't want to pick a loser.

If Sony and Toshiba can find a way for there to be no loser, people may start buying.

tigeraudio2007 11-12-2007 02:23 PM

Has Blu-ray really been receiving better reviews? There are so many problems with the format "lack of" standard, I find that hard to believe. The compression scheme that Blu-ray uses does have a higher bitrate, but a subpar to HD DVD, compression alogrithm.

As for ratings, it is all subjective. Someone who loves a movie will give it a higher rating than someone who hated the movie. Same goes for quality. Someone who knows what they are talking about will be more critical of the quality versus someone who only is seeing the surface.

PS3 sales are not that low. But what I am referring to is that profit margin. Sony takes a loss on each PS3 sold (ie: it cost more to make it than what it is selling for). They do this in hopes of taking the lead and phasing out the competition. The prices will have to go up afterwards to make up for some of the losses, and because there is no longer a competitor.

Neither HD nor Blu-ray is doing what was originally expected. It is not just HD DVD.

Of course consumer's don't like war. It has become especially difficult after the past wars, which have made typically early adopters more of fence sitters.

In the end, the technology is too expensive (as consumers are used to $99 or less even DVD players that work) and the players and technology are not reliable and take too long to load and play.

I'm not certain that one technology by merger would benefit consumers. It would be a further delay in the re-building and integrating of both technologies. Basically starting all over again. And if one format eliminates the other then prices are going to go up again.

I don't see what the big deal about having both formats really is. For about $500 to $600 you can buy a player in both formats and then who cares which title is on which format, you have both players. I have 2 players and they both work, load discs in under 2 minutes and look great.