Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 11-21-2007   #43

Default Re: Is Sony preparing to raise a white flag?

Howard Stringer is now "recanting" his speech from about 10 days ago in which he made it sound like Sony is wavering on Blu-ray support. He now is saying that Sony feels extremely strong about the Blu-ray format and expects it to win.

However, in the same speech he says that Blu-ray players won't sink much below $400 and that Blu-ray is not the cheapest technology, but it is the best.

What a laugh that is. I hope Stringer is prepared to go down in flames if their players won't go below $400. Sony just doesn't learn. People don't care which format is better, they care which format is more affordable and works. Betamax was a better format, but hey looky VHS won. Stringer talks about the PS3 for $399 and that it is a Blu-ray player. Hello? So what. Average consumers don't want a game station connected to their system, they want a slimline DVD looking standalone player. Is Sony expecting everyone to use a game controller to control their Blu-ray players or buy a separate bluetooth remote? Somehow I just don't see that happening.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 View Post
Howard Stringer is now "recanting" his speech from about 10 days ago in which he made it sound like Sony is wavering on Blu-ray support. He now is saying that Sony feels extremely strong about the Blu-ray format and expects it to win.

However, in the same speech he says that Blu-ray players won't sink much below $400 and that Blu-ray is not the cheapest technology, but it is the best.

What a laugh that is. I hope Stringer is prepared to go down in flames if their players won't go below $400. Sony just doesn't learn. People don't care which format is better, they care which format is more affordable and works. Betamax was a better format, but hey looky VHS won. Stringer talks about the PS3 for $399 and that it is a Blu-ray player. Hello? So what. Average consumers don't want a game station connected to their system, they want a slimline DVD looking standalone player. Is Sony expecting everyone to use a game controller to control their Blu-ray players or buy a separate bluetooth remote? Somehow I just don't see that happening.
Translation: The Peace talks died.

I don't see how he thinks they can win, they're about to lose two studios to the HD DVD camp: WB and New Line.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 View Post
Average consumers don't want a game station connected to their system, they want a slimline DVD looking standalone player. Is Sony expecting everyone to use a game controller to control their Blu-ray players or buy a separate bluetooth remote? Somehow I just don't see that happening.
While I agree that the PS3 isn't as conventional looking as a stand alone player I really don't mind. I like the bluetooth remote. I keep the PS3 behind the door of my cabinet and the bluetooth remote doesn't have to have line of site to work. It's only $20.00.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
While I agree that the PS3 isn't as conventional looking as a stand alone player I really don't mind. I like the bluetooth remote. I keep the PS3 behind the door of my cabinet and the bluetooth remote doesn't have to have line of site to work. It's only $20.00.
Right but we can all agree that the majority of people who post here are not your normal consumer. The PS2 wasn't used as a DVD player, and the PS3 won't be a BD player except in select homes.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bluray, flag, incompatible, ou, raise, sony, sound, white, will