Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 11-16-2007   #31

Default Re: Is Sony preparing to raise a white flag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Just someone who had that information and was able to point out that the public will witness them at CES. So we wait.
Well if you can't name sources or give us links to proof you need to state that these "facts" are just rumors by someone with a stake in the outcome.

All these "facts" you are giving is just like a National Enquirer story without proof.
Especially with headlines like "Is Sony Ready To Pull The Plug On Blu-ray?" & "Is Sony preparing to raise a white flag?"

Last edited by TheMoose; 11-16-2007 at 10:22 PM..
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007   #32

Moose,

We all know the National Enquirer, and my personal favorite The Weekly World News (who could forget the alien's endorsement of Clinton?) report on solid tips. Sure, some of their 'solid' tips are a single phone call and a bad photoshop'd pic, but that is just to be sure they get ALL the news out to the public!

Remember Men In Black??
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Well if you can't name sources or give us links to proof you need to state that these "facts" are just rumors by someone with a stake in the outcome.

All these "facts" you are giving is just like a National Enquirer story without proof.
Especially with headlines like "Is Sony Ready To Pull The Plug On Blu-ray?" & "Is Sony preparing to raise a white flag?"
If someone from say here wants to contact him and get to the bottom of it and make some kind of official report on it, I'd be more than helpful. I will not however post his name on a forum because that just wouldn't be nice.

You keep going on though and try and make people skeptical that a disc made to work with a certain format will be incompatible. You really have no reason to believe that it wouldn't if you think about it.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #34

Angry Re: Is Sony preparing to raise a white flag?

Its obvious that no one IS thinking about the consumer. This war is bigger than us in the high end community. The sales of the inexpensive Toshiba units prove that. Yes, consumers want quality, but rarely the masses are willing to pay a premium for it.
The thought that consumers will pay more for Blu-Ray than HD DVD because of storage capacity and its supposedly has better technology, I disagree. We keep missing the point.

Most consumers want to go home and push play, see a great HD picture, and that is it. How educated to you really think the Best Buy customer is on all this technical stuff? Or, even really cares? We must stop believing that all consumers are like us. They are not. And a product like this, should be packed with technology that is easy to use, simple to operate, and reliable. That my friends IS good use of todays technologies. Not software and firmware updates. I myself don`t want to be bothered by that stuff. Not just to watch a movie. I may as well go out to the movie myself and deal with the people and parking!!
So, this war will continue to keep some people confused, dazed, and indifferent. And really at this stage of the game, it should be a lot better than this.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Its obvious that no one IS thinking about the consumer. This war is bigger than us in the high end community. The sales of the inexpensive Toshiba units prove that. Yes, consumers want quality, but rarely the masses are willing to pay a premium for it.
The thought that consumers will pay more for Blu-Ray than HD DVD because of storage capacity and its supposedly has better technology, I disagree. We keep missing the point.

Most consumers want to go home and push play, see a great HD picture, and that is it. How educated to you really think the Best Buy customer is on all this technical stuff? Or, even really cares? We must stop believing that all consumers are like us. They are not. And a product like this, should be packed with technology that is easy to use, simple to operate, and reliable. That my friends IS good use of todays technologies. Not software and firmware updates. I myself don`t want to be bothered by that stuff. Not just to watch a movie. I may as well go out to the movie myself and deal with the people and parking!!
So, this war will continue to keep some people confused, dazed, and indifferent. And really at this stage of the game, it should be a lot better than this.
This is the whole reason for the war.

Sony had BD in "development," and it was found that new lines for replication would be needed, etc. The price of the laser array was expensive. The discs needed "Caddies," otherwise they'd be unwatchable if scratched at all.

So Toshiba went and researched alternatives. They found one that would cost less, and use the same depth on a disc as DVDs thus replication lines would just need adjustments.

Toshiba had the less expensive route, and the DVD Forum behind them. Knowing that consumers only truly care about money spent, Sony went all out to find a way to get Studios to be exclusive to their camp.

So we're now at war because the industry itself already figured that out.

What they forgot was the SACD vs DVD A resolution: death to both formats because consumers don't care about wars. They mainly sit them out.

This isn't like choosing satelite over cable.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #36

Cool Re: Is Sony preparing to raise a white flag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
This is the whole reason for the war.

Sony had BD in "development," and it was found that new lines for replication would be needed, etc. The price of the laser array was expensive. The discs needed "Caddies," otherwise they'd be unwatchable if scratched at all.

So Toshiba went and researched alternatives. They found one that would cost less, and use the same depth on a disc as DVDs thus replication lines would just need adjustments.

Toshiba had the less expensive route, and the DVD Forum behind them. Knowing that consumers only truly care about money spent, Sony went all out to find a way to get Studios to be exclusive to their camp.

So we're now at war because the industry itself already figured that out.

What they forgot was the SACD vs DVD A resolution: death to both formats because consumers don't care about wars. They mainly sit them out.

This isn't like choosing satelite over cable.
Correct, and unfortunately, as long as the AV industry or high end community continues to produce these kind of wars and confusion, it wil be hard to adopt a broader base of high end lovers. I`m sure they are out there, but we continue to move them farther away, rather than closer.

When my friends used to come over to hear my system, there was no question in their minds about, whether they could hear the difference, they acknowledged it.
The question was, expense, difficulty of setup, and ease of use. With all of this technology,
will still haven`t figured it out yet.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bluray, flag, incompatible, ou, raise, sony, sound, white, will