Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Software

Blu-ray Software Keep up with the latest Blu-ray movie releases.

Old 11-13-2007   #13

Default Re: Is Sony preparing to raise a white flag?

If I'm any indication of how the war has slowed HD IN GENERAL (as Lotus meant earlier), I'm an A/V installer and have been telling people for two years not to buy anything yet. Finally, in the last few months, I've been telling them to look at what films they want to see in High Def and buy the player for which they feel they'll be more likely to find software. Several have responded that they're not buyin' nuttin' till the dual player is out. And I say "the" like we know it will happen.

Uhhh...guys, it says "Modertator" in the upper left. That's not as funny as "Adimistrator," which I saw on another site this week, but it is amusing!
Ernie Bornn-Gilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #14

If people are afraid of picking the losing side and having outdated software in 5 yrs, then sign up for netflix and get your movie rentals. You really are missing out on awesome technology that blows away DVD. We are the people that need to be the first to adopt the new technology.
spearl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearl8 View Post
If people are afraid of picking the losing side and having outdated software in 5 yrs, then sign up for netflix and get your movie rentals. You really are missing out on awesome technology that blows away DVD. We are the people that need to be the first to adopt the new technology.

Exactly! Why people continue to wait is beyond me, and for an installer to suggest to their clients not to adopt a playback format (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray) be cause is may one day be obsolete is incredible! Other then my speakers, most everything else in my HT system gets upgraded regularly.

Come on, spent $1000's or maybe $10,000's on a home theater and only play back regular DVD's to save what, somewhere between $100-500!!! Hmmmm, faulty logic to me.

Not only does the current HD offering make every title you watch on them look better, but it takes advantage of all of the rest of the money spent on the entire system!

As spearl8 said, if you don't want to buy titles, don't, just rent but not to enjoy what the current technology has to offer, or sit on the fence and wait and it will be your loss.
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearl8 View Post
Yeah, but you know what, this is why its taking me so long to make a decision. Also why Andrew is tired of all the Blu-Ray nonsense with firmware updates and such. And even kennyt is saying, its great that the HDDVD players, just work, period.

I don`t know, where is it written, that because we are in the so-called high end community, that we are expected to deal with this stuff. This is the same foolishness that for years, has kept more people out. At the end of the day, its about enjoying your music and now movies. Whether by yourself, with your friends, wife, or family. No drama at all, should be associated with buying or renting a movie, that could halt the enjoyment. Its ridiculous. Push play, and be done with it. Even myself, I just want to watch a movie. Period!!
Didn`t Mary J. Blige say - No More Drama!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #17

I think if you are looking 5 years down the road that you just missed 5 years of excellent video quality.

What's the answer? Dual combi players? Dual disc? Studio releases on both formats? One unified format that leaves the other half hanging with no software? Or continue with both formats and in 5 years something better will be here anyway and maybe once again they will have learned a lesson and unify.

Right now, I personally think that the players and software are overpriced for the average consumer at $500.00.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
I think if you are looking 5 years down the road that you just missed 5 years of excellent video quality.

What's the answer? Dual combi players? Dual disc? Studio releases on both formats? One unified format that leaves the other half hanging with no software? Or continue with both formats and in 5 years something better will be here anyway and maybe once again they will have learned a lesson and unify.

Right now, I personally think that the players and software are overpriced for the average consumer at $500.00.
I think Toshiba proved that price is the issue with a lot of buyers. $98 seemed to have moved a lot of players. HD DVD is really enjoying swift software sales right now. I just got a Samsung Combo player and went to Wal-Mart and Best Buy looking for titles to test on this sucker.

Both lacked in the HD DVD department and when I asked I was told "We just can't keep the good titles in stock right now, we had this big sale the other weekend on the player and since then our discs haven't been able to keep up with demand."

For me the solution may be this combo player. I have to give it back to Samsung but I should know if it's what I want. I can then get myself a unit.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bluray, flag, incompatible, ou, raise, sony, sound, white, will