Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 11-06-2007   #1

Thumbs up Will Blu-ray Players get cheaper soon?

Sony's leader says NO.

I think they will have NO CHOICE but to follow HD DVD's lead in $199 players.

HD DVD is breaking cost barriers faster than Blu-ray and earning A TON of new enthusiasts quickly.

Do you think Blu-ray will catch up with HD DVD's price breaks before "black Friday"?
Old 11-07-2007   #2

Default Re: Will Blu-ray Players get cheaper soon?

I'm sure there will be a cheaper BD player this Xmas, I don't see a fire sale $99 model but $199 would be a sweet spot.
Toshiba can give away their players because they are currently the only ones building them, you can't do that on the Blu-Ray side because you would make all the other manufactures mad.

Personally I'm happy with my Playstation 3 for now.
Price isn't a big factor for me because when I get a standalone player it will be a higher end full featured one.

As for what Sony's leader says.....well take that with a grain of salt, he also said there would be no price drop on the Playstation up until the day the price dropped on them!!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #3

I highly doubt they can match the Toshiba $99 point this Christmas, maybe not even by next one, but likely. I think Toshiba made a really smart move selling off lower end outdated players for a loss and especially as it was way before Christmas shopping begins! Now when people need a present for someone who bought one of these players (and all of us who have them as well) they might buy software for them.........

I suspect 'Blazing Saddles' will be hard to find come Christmas on HD DVD....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #4

Despite the increase in Toshiba sales, I doubt myself also that Sony will match them. One, Sony tends to do what Sony does. Meaning, there own thing. And i believe, Sony is just stubbourn enough to wait until the smoke clears.

After all, which of their stand alone players would it be, anyway that they would drop? The PS3 is already $399.99.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #5

Sony supposedly has cut the prices, but no where near the fire sales of the Toshiba A2's....

There are going to be a lot of people looking for gifts, and software sells well during the holidays.... It will be interesting to see what comes of the 'war' after them.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, bluray, cheaper, continue, electronics, leader, players, ray, rays, sale, soon