Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 10-15-2007   #1

Exclamation Mac Support

I had to update the firmware on my Sony Blu-ray players this weekend and was unable to do so because of the lack of Apple support by the CE industry. I understand that behind most of these next gen players is a PC but come on. With a majority of the movie and music industry being Mac based why are the players and gear used to replicate those experiences not? Get with the program already and put out some Mac firmware downloads that will work in our players. I have the tech guys in my office updating my players today since they have a PC somewhere in storage.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #2

Default Re: Mac Support

I know what you mean. It's been like that since day 1 and I don't understand it. We just got a new Samsung BD-P1400 player. A really great demo movie came into the office (which will remain unnamed until its release at the end of the month) for review and it wouldn't even play on the new player. Plays on the PS3 perfectly. Samsung player, nope. Going to try a firmware upgrade. It only states that the firmware is for DTS Master HD bitstream output support, but maybe it will add support to make this movie work too. What is it with these discs and players. POTC comes out and it won't work, and now Sony's next big movie title comes out and it doesn't work either (on a third gen player nonetheless). Geez!
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #3

Ahhhh...

I too share this problem. The worst part is for the BDP-S1, I need to download the file, take it to a PC, open it, then reburn the disc (as my PC doesn't have a DVD burner) then go back to the Mac and copy it to a DVD......

SOME TIMES, MAC's are a PITA, deal with it, most times PC's are!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #4

Well Macs have always been a niche in the computer world, I mean if it wasn't for the iPod would there even still be an Apple?

As hard core as the Mac fans are though it's hard to believe there aren't a few in these companies that would go the extra mile to make them Mac friendly.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #5

FWIW Moose, Mac laptops now account for over 17% or the laptop purchases.....

The niche is getting bigger!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #6

With BootCamp as part of OS10.5, I fear we will never see much Mac support now, as developers will just expect you to reboot into Windows.
irlsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bay, blu, bluray, friendly, mac, macs, players, ray, support, tampa