Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 10-19-2007   #7

Default Re: Mac Support

Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that many mfrs will support Macs and OS X; however, there's a better solution that BootCamp (which requires you to shut down OS X and reboot into Windows), it's called Parallels and it allows Macs to run Windows concurrently with OS X and share files and peripherals.

DISCLAIMER: this post is from someone who (after over 20 years on the PC side) switched to Macs and is never going back!
Old 10-19-2007   #8

I am know of Parallels, but have not used it yet. Still, I think it is crazy not to support both Mac and PC users on the tech side of things. For instance, the Sony firmware update for their Blu-ray players is an EXE file that once run creates an ISO file. Now ISO files can be read on both PC and Mac so why not make the ISO file downloadable? This is the kind of common sense thinking that seems to be lacking in today's modern CE marketplace. Sony's not the only culprit. Companies as high up on the food chain as Meridian and others make similar mistakes.

Lately I get the feeling that a lot of companies spend so much time either being first to market with something or are simply playing catch up that no one actually take the time to test or worse USE the product they're about to sell to the masses. If they truly did the proper testing then these things wouldn't happen. It's like selling someone a new car and telling them that they can drive it in two to four weeks once the drive train comes in.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #9

Cool Re: Mac Support

This is all the foolishness Andrew and kennyt that will keep people from diving in to the HD area. Even as an audiophile myself, its getting increasing weary and frustrating to come home and deal with all this stuff. Just to play a movie!!

Once again fellows, its about the music, not becoming tweakers.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
I had to update the firmware on my Sony Blu-ray players this weekend and was unable to do so because of the lack of Apple support by the CE industry. I understand that behind most of these next gen players is a PC but come on. With a majority of the movie and music industry being Mac based why are the players and gear used to replicate those experiences not? Get with the program already and put out some Mac firmware downloads that will work in our players. I have the tech guys in my office updating my players today since they have a PC somewhere in storage.
PalmHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #11

Microsoft is offering a free download for Mac users (non-INTEL) of
virtual windows for mac on their website. Its slow but it works.
I have a mac and have used to for transferring MP3 files for a RIO
mp3 player.
PalmHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #12

I broke down and bought a cheap PC laptop, it just seemed easier, and for the $500, I can always use another laptop for the wife or kids.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bay, blu, bluray, friendly, mac, macs, players, ray, support, tampa