Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   PS3's Audio Capabilities - Please Clarify (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/563-ps3s-audio-capabilities-please-clarify.html)

kingofgrills 08-30-2007 11:18 AM

PS3's Audio Capabilities - Please Clarify

I have a PS3 as the center piece of my home theater room for Blu-ray disc, DVD, and SACD playback. I currently run audio through a Yamaha HTR-5960 7.1 channel receiver utilizing a 6.1 channel setup.

The setup sounds great but unfortunately, the receiver does not have an HDMI connection. I use a digital optical connection for Blu-ray and DVDs, and Monster analog output for two-channel SACD playback (Monster makes the best A/V cable I could find for the PS3's funky A/V connection). I've been waiting for Yamaha's line of A/V receivers with HDMI 1.3 before upgrading to take advantage of the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, and uncompressed PCM lossless audio formats.

My question is this: Do I really need an A/V receiver with HDMI 1.3 and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, or does the PS3 have decoders built-in that will work with HDMI 1.2?

I've seen conflicting information on this issue, and so far I haven't been able to get a straight answer. If the PS3 will decode the new formats, or pass uncompressed PCM through HDMI 1.2, I can spring for a new receiver right now. I believe the PS3 will pass SACD multi-channel audio through HDMI 1.2, so that would work well too.

Please help end my confusion on this issue and set me straight. I've had a PS3 since launch, and I've had a heck of a time trying to figure this issue out.

I greatly appreciate your help with this issue.

tigeraudio2007 08-30-2007 12:24 PM

Re: PS3's Audio Capabilities - Please Clarify

HDMI 1.2 is capable of transmitting SACD multi-channel audio in the form of decoded LPCM.

The PS3 has a sound board capable of Dolby TrueHD (and quite possibly DTS Master HD). However, it is only capable of passing the Dolby TrueHD audio stream. There is not enough bandwidth in Toslink or Digital Coaxial for the TrueHD format. It can only be passed through HDMI 1.3. Thus, you need an HDMI 1.3 receiver which is capable of decoding the new audio formats.

I HIGHLY recommend the Onkyo line of receivers. The 605 model would suit you well. The 805 model gets the biggest thumbs up from me: 3 HDMI 1.3 inputs, 7.1 audio (2 sets of outputs), more than enough a/v inputs, phono preamp, 2 zones, toslink, coaxial, sirius, xm, and so much more.

kingofgrills 08-30-2007 12:51 PM

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I greatly appreciate it. You've confirmed my thoughts on it, but I was beginning to think I could get away with HDMI 1.2.

Thanks for the tip on the Onkyo receivers. I've checked them out, but I think I'll wait until the Yamahas with 1.3 hit stores. I've auditioned several receivers, and Yamaha has won for my past couple of purchases. They really sound phenomenal.

Thanks again!

jdc115 10-07-2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 (Post 2369)
HDMI 1.2 is capable of transmitting SACD multi-channel audio in the form of decoded LPCM.

The PS3 has a sound board capable of Dolby TrueHD (and quite possibly DTS Master HD). However, it is only capable of passing the Dolby TrueHD audio stream. There is not enough bandwidth in Toslink or Digital Coaxial for the TrueHD format. It can only be passed through HDMI 1.3. Thus, you need an HDMI 1.3 receiver which is capable of decoding the new audio formats.

I HIGHLY recommend the Onkyo line of receivers. The 605 model would suit you well. The 805 model gets the biggest thumbs up from me: 3 HDMI 1.3 inputs, 7.1 audio (2 sets of outputs), more than enough a/v inputs, phono preamp, 2 zones, toslink, coaxial, sirius, xm, and so much more.

I thought it was the other way around on the PS3, that it can only decode and transmit Dobly TrueHD as multichannel LPCM and not Bitstream. So any receiver or processor cable of receiving multichannel LPCM would be able to play it even if it is HDMI 1.1. Though for SACD, it would have to be HDMI 1.2 or above.

As this is an old thread, I think Yammy has 1.3 receivers out on the market now but I just want to understand clearly as I was on the understanding the the PS3 could not transmit Dobly TrueHD Bitstream, only LPCM?

Thanks

tigeraudio2007 10-08-2007 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdc115 (Post 4191)
I thought it was the other way around on the PS3, that it can only decode and transmit Dobly TrueHD as multichannel LPCM and not Bitstream.

Thanks

Yes, that is true. Wit ha firmware update, the PS3 can decode internally the TrueHD and DTS-HD formats and output them through HDMI via LPCM. SACD audio can be passed via HDMI 1.2 or higher, but as PCM as well, not DSD. The only player I know of that currently outputs bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD is the Samsung BD-P1400.

There are several receivers on the market now that have HDMI 1.3 and support for the new sudio formats. Yamaha, the new line of Onkyo, I believe Denon and Marantz as well as possibly NAD.