Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 02-05-2011   #1

Default Optical Bitstream Issues

Ok, so I purchased a BDP-S470 today and hooked it up with HDMI to my TV and Optical to my older Yamaha receiver (RX-V595) receiver thinking I would get 1080P video signal through the HDMI and Dolby Digital 5.1 through the optical (i.e. the audio I have received for years on my DVD player). After starting the blu-ray disc and realizing I had no sound during the movie (though Dolby Digital output was fine during the previews) I fiddled with the blu-ray settings and was able to get sound; however it was showing as Pro-Logic on my receiver. I believe I changed to "DOWNMIX PCM" vs "DTS" on the DTS (COAXIAL/OPTICAL) Menu - can't recall for sure and I'm so frustrated with the player I don't want to even look at it again to find out for sure.

I finished the movie and did some research and found that if I needed to make the optical output bitstream in the menu; however that is not a choice on the S470.

Clearly many people have written about this and my frustration level is through the roof - even more frustrated when I learned my receiver is faking Pro-Logic and just sending out 2 channel sound.

My reason for writing this is to ask whether there are other blu-ray players that will allow bitstream Dolby Digital through the optical (other than the PS3 bc I have no use for a gaming machine).

Also, can this/will this be fixed by a firmware upgrade by Sony or is it a hardware issue?

I really like the Sony b/c it pairs with my Sony TV nicely but if my choice is to return the player and get one that can do what I want vs. upgrade my receiver I would choose the new player. I just can't stomach upgrading my receiver right now.

Anyone have any ideas?
sarmo15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
51, bdps470, bitstream, coax, digital, dolby, downmix, dts, forums, hdmi, issues, optical, pcm, receiver, video