Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 05-09-2010   #1

Angry Samsung PD-1600 Won't Play Any Blu-Ray

My 4 month old Samsung PD 1600 will no longer play any blu-ray disc. It will play any DVD I throw in, but no Blu-Ray. This issue began about a month ago, but I do not believe was related to a firmware upgrade. I have since updated the firmware to the latest version. No luck. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there a fix? All I can find searching google is information regarding the class action lawsuit and people complaining about Avatar not playing. Although I would love to watch Avatar on Blu-Ray, I can't watch anything, new or old. The same discs that would play when I purchased the player will not play today.

Thanks for your help.
Collinshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #2

Default Re: Samsung PD-1600 Won't Play Any Blu-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinshead View Post
My 4 month old Samsung PD 1600 will no longer play any blu-ray disc. It will play any DVD I throw in, but no Blu-Ray. This issue began about a month ago, but I do not believe was related to a firmware upgrade. I have since updated the firmware to the latest version. No luck. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there a fix? All I can find searching google is information regarding the class action lawsuit and people complaining about Avatar not playing. Although I would love to watch Avatar on Blu-Ray, I can't watch anything, new or old. The same discs that would play when I purchased the player will not play today.

Thanks for your help.
I would suggest contacting Samsung support...
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #3

Thumbs down Re: Samsung PD-1600 Won't Play Any Blu-Ray

Thanks for that helpful response. Samsungs only suggestion was to hold down the Fast Forward button until the unit reset. When this did not work they told me to pay to mail the player somewhere and then pay the labor to fix it. I paid $85 new at best buy. I'd spend that in shipping and labor costs easily.

If anyone has a helpful solution, I would be grateful. If not, I am going to look into joining the class action suit against these criminals.
Collinshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #4
Administrator

No suggestions that are free. At $85 I'm not sure what to advise.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #5

If it is going to cost that much, I would suggest replacing it with a Magnavox Blu-ray player from Walmart for about the same price. I purchased one around Christmas and it has worked flawlessly. No problems, skips, hiccups or firmware updates needed for new titles.

Sorry, that's the best solution I can come up with.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010   #6

Yes surely Samsung PD-1600 had a problem in playing Blu Ray disk.It should be noted that other players seemed to have no problem with the above mentioned Blu-ray discs. The PS3 as well as various other Sony and Panasonic models were able to play the titles without incident, but only after owners downloaded a firmware updates provided by those companies.So the best option is to replace it.
davidgreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
avatar, blu, blue-ray, bluray, bue, disc, dvd, hd, play, playback, ray, samsung, unit, won, wont, work