Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 12-01-2010   #43

Default Re: Ayre DX-5 at $10,000 is a rebadged $500 OPPO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefTK View Post
The Ayre DX-5 is, perhaps, the best stand alone disc player manufactured today relative to playing virtually everything on a 5" disc with superb audio resolution and fidelity.

Using the Oppo transport is simply smart. Why reinvent the wheel?

The power supplies and DAC's make this piece ultra high-end and worth the $$$.
THis is mighty strong words, there are some sensationally good players out there, have listened to some Wadia players that made me believe I was listening to an improved mastering of Pink Floyd, The wall... If the player is at this level it's not even just worth the money, it's a bargain....
haraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #44

Even if one thought that the ayre had better 2ch analog why not just use the new oppo SE version that uses 4x 32bit DAC's for 2ch output, you won't find anything close to that in a ayre product.
vsharma72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #45

I don't no how many posters here have listened to the players in question . I have , the Ayre sounds about $9500. better , can't say why .
tmsorosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stereo View Post
Why do people insist on calling something that uses a transport from another manufacturer (or whatever the core part may be) a rebadge, and "snake oil"? Because frankly you don't know what you're talking about and it just makes you look like another Yugo-driving, Timex-wearing, Mobile home-living simpleton ignoramus. Yup, all Ayre changed was the complete analog audio section (an area in which they have a wee bit of expertise), a massively upgraded power supply (which affects everything), a better layout of the internal components (again, benefits everything), and throws in a USB DAC that tops their own QB-9 in performance (the QB-9 by the way was just named Stereophile Component of the Year). Is $10,000 a lot of money? Of course it is. But just because you can't afford it doesn't mean it doesn't have value to someone seeking the best. And Ayre is quick to point out how phenomenal the Oppo is, particularly for the price they offer it at. So no, I'm not bashing the Oppo. It is a fantastic player. But just as an AMG-modded Mercedes bests a stock unit, so too does the Ayre DX-5 top the Oppo. Talking about the dollars is a value judgment which is a personal matter and I don't care, nor does anyone else, if you don't see the value in it.
Cpt. Stereo, I challenge you to a real and serious listening blind stereo test between Ayre dx-5, OPPO BDP 83 SE, Lexicon BD-30 and Oppo BDP-95. If you are able to differentiate the quality sound of each one, I publicly commit to buy to you an Ayre dx-5, but if you are not capable to differentiating the sound of each one player, you publicly committed to assume you are a jerk. I wait for your answer about what I ask you, and please! do not come with something else that does not apply to this proposal. You accept or not….
stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger View Post
Cpt. Stereo, I challenge you to a real and serious listening blind stereo test between Ayre dx-5, OPPO BDP 83 SE, Lexicon BD-30 and Oppo BDP-95. If you are able to differentiate the quality sound of each one, I publicly commit to buy to you an Ayre dx-5, but if you are not capable to differentiating the sound of each one player, you publicly committed to assume you are a jerk. I wait for your answer about what I ask you, and please! do not come with something else that does not apply to this proposal. You accept or not….
Fine. You round up all the players and set 'em up for me, and it's a deal. But on second thought, screw you. I'm a jerk because I don't like it when forum-dwelling losers call stuff they don't know jack about a rebadge? Who the ef are you? Don't call me a jerk because I suggested it would be wise to LISTEN TO SOMETHING before you declare that it couldn't sound better.What's jerky about that? And just so ya know "stinger", I have directly compared the DX-5, BDP-83, and then some other high-end CD players from Audio Research, Meridian for example. The differences are as plain as the nose on your face. But then I do this for a living. I don't work in a cubicle all day, then read an article on avrev.com and assume I know everything. Everything sounds different to one degree or another, and if you can't tell the difference, that doesn't mean it isn't there. It means your ears aren't as practiced as someone for whom audio is the way they make their living. Me a jerk? Look in the mirror, "Stinger".
Captain Stereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011   #48

The Lexicon is an Oppo with a Harmon Specialty Group box.

HSG has crapped on former Madrigal Group customers and generally destroyed the Mark Levinson brand.

Thankfully, Revel has remained relatively untouched by HSG's mediocrity/
ChiefTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, ayre, bd30, blu, bluray, compli, cx7emp, digital, dx, dx5, dx7, lexicon, oppo, player, ray, rebadged, theta