Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 07-18-2009   #1

Talking Toshiba to build Blu-Ray player!

Toshiba gives up, builds Blu-ray player!

From Gizmodo,

Toshiba, the former leader of Blu-Ray's enemy HD-DVD camp, is admitting defeat in the most final way they can: By launching a Blu-Ray player.

The company's first Blu-Ray/DVD deck should arrive (in Japan first, probably) before Christmas this year, and "sources" say it'll be called the BD-18 (we think. The Google translation is sort of sketchy). We don't know anything else about the alleged player, but we imagine some Toshiba exec is sitting in a bathroom stall, crying quietly and cursing Sony.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Toshiba to build Blu-Ray player!

How about that! Of course it was just a matter of time. Their super resolution technology was not going anywhere, probably because it could not be done correctly within a consumer product price range.

I tend to think the crying, if there is any, would be that they have to pay Sony a royalty on every player though.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #3

Folks,
FWIW,
I'll buy the player to support TOSHIBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and I think those of us that have HD-DVD players will also support Toshiba...........and I'd even pay a little more so I could cover Toshiba's royalty payment to SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #4

Bob,

The only way I would support Toshiba is if they build a great product. Toshiba is a corporation, like many others, and only deserves to be supported if they build quality and/or cheaper products that fullfill the customers desires. I just don't get emotional over corporations.

Greg
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstarr View Post
Bob,

The only way I would support Toshiba is if they build a great product. Toshiba is a corporation, like many others, and only deserves to be supported if they build quality and/or cheaper products that fullfill the customers desires. I just don't get emotional over corporations.

Greg
but Toshiba really can make great High Def products and they're famous on this business
I never want to buy some "nameless" product made by "nameless" corporation
at least Toshiba always give us guarantee that make me feel secure when buying their products
add1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #6

Toshiba doesn' get high marks in their HDTV's. Panasonic, Pioneer (when they made plasmas), Sony, and Samsung are the companies that have the highest rated HDTV's.

Sure, Toshiba made excellent HD players, but that ship has sailed.
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, blu, build, careers, highest, latest, oklahoma, player, quality, ray, setup, super, toshiba, upconversion, video