Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 07-22-2009   #7
Administrator

Default Re: Toshiba to build Blu-Ray player!

There are some people that would not put Sony in the ranks due to them not offering a plasma. There are those who only consider plasmas as being able to have high marks.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #8

Again,
FWIW,
All my installs & consults still propose plasma technology over any other "as of TODAY". I'm sure there's something better in the future but right now I'll stick with plasma, Panasonic. their "pro" models!
Bob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #9

Does anyone else find it strange that no mention was made about the possibility of a combo-player that would also play HD DVDs?

We had such players from other manufacturers. You'd think that Toshiba would offer a flagship BD model that also plays HD DVDs... given the obvious market for it's HD DVD consumers.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #10
Administrator

I think they are just done with HD DVD. Why pay 2 royalties?
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #11

Why pay 2 royalties? Are you talking about Toshiba or the consumer? Toshiba owns HD DVD so I don't see what royalties they'd need to pay. As for the consumer, the consumer who would want a dual-format player is a consumer with HD DVDs... so I don't think they'd mind having an HD DVD logo on their box.

Some folks had purchased over a hundred HD DVDs by the time the format door shut in favor of Blu-ray. Wouldn't those folks like having a new piece of hardware able to play those discs given the uncertainty of how long their dedicated HD DVD player may hold out? That's worth a few extra dollars for someone with a large collection.
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Why pay 2 royalties? Are you talking about Toshiba or the consumer? Toshiba owns HD DVD so I don't see what royalties they'd need to pay. As for the consumer, the consumer who would want a dual-format player is a consumer with HD DVDs... so I don't think they'd mind having an HD DVD logo on their box.

Some folks had purchased over a hundred HD DVDs by the time the format door shut in favor of Blu-ray. Wouldn't those folks like having a new piece of hardware able to play those discs given the uncertainty of how long their dedicated HD DVD player may hold out? That's worth a few extra dollars for someone with a large collection.
But it's worth nothing to people who do not have any hd-dvd's.
The higher cost of making it a dual format player would likely kill it in the market.
I can certainly understand people wanting this feature if they did have a lot of hd-dvd's but it's a dead format & they should concentrate on the future instead of looking to the past.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, blu, build, careers, highest, latest, oklahoma, player, quality, ray, setup, super, toshiba, upconversion, video