Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Is Blu-Ray worth it without HDMI & DTS-HD (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/3632-blu-ray-worth-without-hdmi-dts-hd.html)

djanni 06-18-2009 06:05 PM

Is Blu-Ray worth it without HDMI & DTS-HD
 
Inspired by this thread - Is Blu-Ray worth it with a 720P plasma? My interest is in the new Oppo.

My AV is a Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi and doesn't have HDMI connections. The AV doesn't have the latest DTS-HD or True HD decoders. My TV, is a Samsung DLP, 46" and doesn't have HDMI. From a Blu-Ray player I would connect the video to the TV using a HDMI to DVI adapter as I do now with the DirecTV hookup. I would connect the audio from the Blu-Ray to the AV with an optical cable.

My question is will I get better quality sound having the Blu-Ray with that hook up and using direct stream DTS or DDII?

rbinck 06-18-2009 08:18 PM

Re: Is Blu-Ray worth it without HDMI & DTS-HD
 
If your question is will a Blu-ray player give you better video quality than a SD DVD player, the answer is a resounding yes, even on a 720p HDTV. As far as sound goes, the optical is the best connection to your AV amp.

djanni 06-18-2009 08:24 PM

Re: Is Blu-Ray worth it without HDMI & DTS-HD
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbinck (Post 21333)
If your question is will a Blu-ray player give you better video quality than a SD DVD player, the answer is a resounding yes, even on a 720p HDTV. As far as sound goes, the optical is the best connection to your AV amp.

The question is sound about quality. Without the codecs for DTS-HD and True-HD I'm wondering if the sound quality will improve noticeably.

bootman 06-19-2009 05:35 AM

Re: Is Blu-Ray worth it without HDMI & DTS-HD
 
You don't have 7.1 analog inputs on that Elite AVR?
If you connect the 7.1 out of the oppo you will have HD Audio

djanni 06-19-2009 03:58 PM

Re: Is Blu-Ray worth it without HDMI & DTS-HD
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootman (Post 21339)
You don't have 7.1 analog inputs on that Elite AVR?
If you connect the 7.1 out of the oppo you will have HD Audio

I do have 7.1 on the Elite even though I use 5.1 and bi-amp the front mains. I don't have decoding for DTS-HD or Dolby's True-HD. With my current setup I can hear a difference playing a SuperBit DVD.

I'm really asking for opinions on whether or not overall sound quality is enhanced via Blu-Ray when DTS-HD or True-HD codecs are not used.

Loves2Watch 06-19-2009 07:27 PM

Re: Is Blu-Ray worth it without HDMI & DTS-HD
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by djanni (Post 21353)
I do have 7.1 on the Elite even though I use 5.1 and bi-amp the front mains. I don't have decoding for DTS-HD or Dolby's True-HD. With my current setup I can hear a difference playing a SuperBit DVD.

I'm really asking for opinions on whether or not overall sound quality is enhanced via Blu-Ray when DTS-HD or True-HD codecs are not used.

Your receiver has multicahnnel analog inputs and the Oppo has multichannel audio outputs. The Oppo will decode DTS MA Dolby True HD and any other HD audio source and pass it along to your receiver via the aforementioned inputs/outputs so you will be able to hear the HD audio with your current receiver.

Did that help?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:56 AM.


1996-2008 AVRev.com | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use


SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1