Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 06-21-2009   #13

Default Re: Is Blu-Ray worth it without HDMI & DTS-HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman View Post
Not quite.
You will get HD audio from the oppo's analog outputs. (after being decoded in the player)
Not from the digital out. (that is only regular DD and DTS)

That is how I'm running HD audio now on my non hdmi setup.
The difference between that and regular DD is great.
There is no way you will not be able to hear the difference.
Exactly!
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
Exactly!
To clarify a few things for the OP.

Oppo HDMI out to HDMI equipped AVR with HD audio decoding is equal in sound quality to having the Oppo internally decode HD audio and have its analog outputs go to a non HDMI equipped AVR.

Either one of these is vastly superior to just having regular DD or DTS!

HDMI AVRs are a real nice convenience but its not a deal breaker with a player like the Oppo that can internally decode all formats.
There is really no need to replace a nice high end non HDMI AVR like yours to enjoy HD audio.
bootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman View Post
To clarify a few things for the OP.

Oppo HDMI out to HDMI equipped AVR with HD audio decoding is equal in sound quality to having the Oppo internally decode HD audio and have its analog outputs go to a non HDMI equipped AVR.

Either one of these is vastly superior to just having regular DD or DTS!

HDMI AVRs are a real nice convenience but its not a deal breaker with a player like the Oppo that can internally decode all formats.
There is really no need to replace a nice high end non HDMI AVR like yours to enjoy HD audio.
Okay!!! That does clarify it and it's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks. I'm going for the Oppo.
djanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #16

Thumbs up Re: Is Blu-Ray worth it without HDMI & DTS-HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanni View Post
Okay!!! That does clarify it and it's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks. I'm going for the Oppo.
Now that's what I'm talking about.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Old 06-24-2009   #17

Ok, I am on TOTALLY different track. I have been to a few movie studios and to this day, find some of the simple "SOUND EFFECTS" to be false. If you have a "false" sound and you reproduce it 100% faithfully, then you still are just getting back the false sound. Second, IMO, SACDs by their very nature of dealing with only audio, IMO has/had a better technology to generate cleaner and a more accurate sound wave than DD or DTS. However, I do believe that "movie sound" has improved and that some products can produce a better sound with DTS than a regular CD. So, getting back to the orig theme, if we are talking about the Dark Night or IRonman, or Star Trek, or ...do we care for the improved sound versus if we have a test version of Les Mes or Phantom or Sweeny Todd or ... then I wouldn't buy an Oppo. My current hi-end setup starts with a Sony S1, to a Kuro, to Infinity Betas with Krell MRSs, Krell FPB 250Ms, VTL MB 450s, etc...
Mitchell Erblich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Erblich View Post
. So, getting back to the orig theme, if we are talking about the Dark Night or IRonman, or Star Trek, or ...do we care for the improved sound versus if we have a test version of Les Mes or Phantom or Sweeny Todd or ... then I wouldn't buy an Oppo.
I am not following you here. Can you be a bit more clear?

Being able to decode or not the newer HD audio codecs (Dloby TrueHD, DTS HD, etc.) via both analog and digital outputs, using an exceptional video processor as well as having one of if not the best upscaling for standard DVD's makes the Oppo a clear winner for anyone, even those with older, non-HDMI equipped audio equipment.
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, bluray, connected, connecting, connection, connector, considered, def, dvd, hd, hdmi, high, player, ray, tv, withgout, work