Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 06-19-2009   #7

Default Re: Is Blu-Ray worth it without HDMI & DTS-HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
Your receiver has multicahnnel analog inputs and the Oppo has multichannel audio outputs. The Oppo will decode DTS MA Dolby True HD and any other HD audio source and pass it along to your receiver via the aforementioned inputs/outputs so you will be able to hear the HD audio with your current receiver.

Did that help?
I think so. Are you saying that as long as the player decodes; i.e., DTS-HD, then that signal is passed to the receiver and the receiver will pass the untouched signal on to the speakers? Is that right? For clairity, are you sayng it makes no difference whether or not the receiver does the decoding.

If so, does that mean the receiver has to be set to Stream Direct (which may be Elite terminology) or set to PCM?
djanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanni View Post
I think so. Are you saying that as long as the player decodes; i.e., DTS-HD, then that signal is passed to the receiver and the receiver will pass the untouched signal on to the speakers? Is that right? For clairity, are you sayng it makes no difference whether or not the receiver does the decoding.
Correct
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #9

Quote:
Correct
Okay, thanks. Do you think there would be an appreciable improvement in sound quality? I know that's somewhat subjective but what's your opinion?
Old 06-20-2009   #10

Quote:
Okay, thanks. Do you think there would be an appreciable improvement in sound quality? I know that's somewhat subjective but what's your opinion?
Shouldn't be much difference if any. Use the receiver you have, it will do a fantastic job. Just make sure the Blu-ray player you purchase has analog audio outputs. I prefer the Oppo BDP-83 but if that is not within your budget, look at the Panasonic line, they will work just fine for you.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009   #11

Quote:
Shouldn't be much difference if any. Use the receiver you have, it will do a fantastic job. Just make sure the Blu-ray player you purchase has analog audio outputs. I prefer the Oppo BDP-83 but if that is not within your budget, look at the Panasonic line, they will work just fine for you.
Sorry but I'm not sure we're on the same page.

My current DVD player is a matching Pioneer Elite. SACD/DVD Audio and etc. I'm considering going to a Blu-Ray player and the main motivation is improved audio by switching to Blu-Ray.

Are you saying that with my set up audio will not be much different than the audio that comes with standard DVD's? The Oppo BDP-83 is the one I'm considering.

Last edited by djanni; 06-20-2009 at 02:03 PM..
Old 06-20-2009   #12

Quote:
Not quite.
You will get HD audio from the oppo's analog outputs. (after being decoded in the player)
Not from the digital out. (that is only regular DD and DTS)

That is how I'm running HD audio now on my non hdmi setup.
The difference between that and regular DD is great.
There is no way you will not be able to hear the difference.
bootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, bluray, connected, connecting, connection, connector, considered, def, dvd, hd, hdmi, high, player, ray, tv, withgout, work