Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 07-27-2007   #1

Default PS3 as a Blu Ray -- Question

I have my PS3 hooked up to my 46" XBR LCD. At best, the picture is comparable to a regular DVD. I am not using HDMI. Using what came with PS3.

My question is: When hooking up PS3 and watching a Blu Ray movie, should I have tpo chane any settings on my XBR or should this automatically up-convert to 1080p?
jdh226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #2

Exclamation Re: PS3 as a Blu Ray -- Question

OK the problem is you are using the cable that came with the PS3 which is a composite cable, the worst possible connection you can have! I think it's only 480i!

You do need to upgrade your connection, the component cables that work on the Playstation 2 will work on the PS3 so if you have a set of those around your good there but for the best picture quality get a HDMI cable Like this one from Monoprice.com for less than $5, now if you don't have an HDMI receiver you will still need a audio connection, I use the Tos0Link (Fiber optic) cable) to get 5.1 sound.

Now your XBR will upconvert it to 1080p which is it's native resolution but it's upconverting a 480i signal so it will never look any better than a regular DVD without upgrading your connection.

Blu-Ray movies look amazing on my 70" XBR2 from my PS3 with HDMI.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #3

Default Re: PS3 as a Blu Ray -- Question

If you really wanted to improve the look of things in terms of video scaling - you might look at a DVDO VP50pro. I would run it HDMI without question.

ALSO - don't use cheap cables. You don't have to break the bank. Look into Accel, Ultralink and Transparent's basic cables. Even as analog cables - these will provide a notable improvment for high res sources.
Old 09-18-2007   #4

Default Re: PS3 as a Blu Ray -- Question

Jerry,

I'm down with that! I am trying to get a VP50 pro for my main rig, that thing is amazing!

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, bad, blu, blue, component, connection, movies, player, proper, ps3, ray, settings, video, whats, work