Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 03-03-2009   #1

Default New Sony Blu-Ray players with WiFi

Sony BDP-S560

Sony BDP-S360

From CNET,

Standalone Blu-ray players have finally started catching up to the Sony PlayStation 3 for Blu-ray playback, but Sony's game console is still the only Blu-ray player with built-in Wi-Fi.
Luckily, that appears to be changing in 2009, with both Samsung and LG announcing wireless Blu-ray players at CES 2009. And Monday Sony announced its own wireless Blu-ray player, the BDP-S560. The BDP-S560 includes 802.11N Wi-Fi, which means you'll be able to access BD-Live features without dragging an Ethernet cord into your living room.
The wireless connection can also be used for firmware updates and accessing photos on other DLNA-enabled devices. The press release doesn't state whether music or movies can be streamed, but we assume it's limited to just photo streaming, like the company's DLNA televisions from last year. Photos can also be accessed via a front-panel USB port.
The BDP-S560 will include onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, but the press release doesn't mention whether it will have 7.1 analog outputs like its predecessor, the BDP-S550. The BDP-S560 will be available this summer for about $350.
Sony also announced the step-down BDP-S360, which lacks Wi-Fi and the front-panel USB port. Not many details were released on the BDP-S360, except that it will include onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and feature a $300 price tag when it comes out this summer.

Links to stories
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2455
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10185734-1.html
http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/02/s...-new-bd-htibs/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342345,00.asp
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #2

Default Re: New Sony Blu-Ray players with WiFi

Big deal....I am not impressed especially for that kind of money.
PalmHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009   #3

FWIW The BDP-S350 already does this, it's tough to find but IS in there!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #4

Smile Re: New Sony Blu-Ray players with WiFi

The new Sony player with Wifi does not have 7.1 analog outputs the Sony Style site has a picture of the back of the unit it does not show 7.1 outputs.

alideb
alideb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #5

While I'm quite adamant about whether or not I would ever need a WiFi on my player, this is a pretty cool deal - if not a bit too expensive that is.
vanstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #6
Administrator

I guess this is for BD live. My Blu-ray player has both wired and wireless. But then it is a HTPC. I guess that's cheating a bit.
rbinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2009, announced, blu, blue, bluray, ces, fi, forums, player, players, ray, sony, summer, wi, wifi