Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 02-03-2011   #13

Default Re: What are the main differences between Blu-ray players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsavoie View Post
Does the OPPO BDP 83 or BDP 93 really give that much of a boost to regular DVD'S.I realize that it depends on many factors.Such as the source,transfer etc.I am mostly interested in TV series since there is not much chance the TV seeries will be reissued in BLU-RAY,and even if they were,there would be no guarantee the studios would release a much improved product.Older TV series in particular.
It depends if you know what to look for or not. If you do not know what macroblocking is or moire effect, you may not be able to tell a difference. The more you know about video imperfections, the more you begin to notice them. Mosquito effect, chroma errors, white balance errors, plumming, etc.

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.
westcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsharma72 View Post
The main difference is the color of the laser used. Regular DVD players have used the traditional red laser, whereas the new Blu-Ray DVD players use an innovative blue laser. So what's the big deal? The primary difference is that blue light has a shorter wavelength than red light and thus allows the capability of faster speeds, more data storage, advances in miniaturization, and improved efficiency overall, among others.
I'm pretty sure that although you are absolutely correct, your answer wasn't what the OP's question was about. Next time, consider the literal statement a little more. In this case the poster wanted to know what differences there were between makers of the same technology, not two different technologies. Differences in BR players have pretty much nothing to do with the laser technology; rather they involve the accuracy of decoding the digital information and sending it to your television. Some players are widely considered to do a better job of converting the encoded information into the video stream than others.

While I personally think that bits are bits, I have actually seen that some BR players do a better job of reading and playing standard DVDs than others do. My well-regarded LG BD-390 produces softer and less defined video from my DVDs than my Denon player did, so the difference lies in the DAC chipset, not the laser. I plan to grab the new Oppo when I can afford it as they are considered to have excellent DACs for upconverting DVD material. On the other hand, most reviewers I've read contend that differences in playback of actual BR content are very minor, so if you only intend to play Blu-Ray disks, almost any drive will produce nearly identical results. And, I can attest to the fact that like video, audio output depends heavily on the quality of the decoding circuits. Some players just sound better, and the manufacturers' choice of DAC chipsets are the main source of the differences.

—Eric

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #15

Well in my opinion the only major difference between the Blu ray players is the price...
The player who has a maximum price will always be more better in quality,specifications and in use....

Last edited by Blunt; 05-31-2012 at 04:04 AM..
Blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #16

Exclamation Re: What are the main differences between Blu-ray players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunt View Post
Well in my opinion the only major difference between the Blu ray players is the price...
The player who has a maximum price will always be more better in quality,specifications and in use....
Seriously. This is an astute observation from an enthusiast in a specialty forum? Almost makes me pine for moderated posts.

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #17

I like this post.. Check this out...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ml#post3470346
I almost bought this one
There is a difference with the Picture in higher end players (of coures it looks better).website design pune

Last edited by Nimai; 09-17-2011 at 11:58 PM..
Nimai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #18

I have 3 Blu-Ray players over the years. I make couple observation
1) Speed. When I play disc in HD audio (DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, PCM5.1) There are some visible lag when loading the disc using Pioneer. Panasonic and Samsung are fine.
2) Interface. I like Panasonic's simplicity over Samsung's colorful but too much troubles GUI.
3) Perfoamance. I did notice that Panasonic can not run HDMI cable as long as the other 2.

Last edited by Arcticbear; 12-01-2011 at 11:03 AM..
Arcticbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, blue, blueray, bluray, cables, differances, difference, differences, hdmi, makes, player, players, ray, revolutions, wescan, whats