Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Upconversion Through Component? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/3080-upconversion-through-component.html)

gbeenie 02-10-2009 08:32 PM

Upconversion Through Component?

So, I've got a friend who has a projector with no HDMI -- only component inputs. My question is, are there any players out there (Blu-Ray or SD DVD) which will output an upconverted signal (for SD DVD) via the components outputs? The players I have say no go, so I get the impression that it's not a common feature.

rex 02-10-2009 10:15 PM

Re: Upconversion Through Component?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbeenie (Post 19713)
So, I've got a friend who has a projector with no HDMI -- only component inputs. My question is, are there any players out there (Blu-Ray or SD DVD) which will output an upconverted signal (for SD DVD) via the components outputs? The players I have say no go, so I get the impression that it's not a common feature.

Your impression is correct. In fact, CSS compliance requires that CSS encrypted DVDs can only be upconverted over HDMI. This includes all Hollywood movies and most commercially mastered DVDs. There is a third-party firmware hack for the Oppo DV-970 which defeats this, and allows you to upconvert over component. For more information, see: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/oppo-dv-970hd/7223

gbeenie 02-10-2009 10:35 PM

Hmmmm. I just thought of this: Since my friend's projector (720p) also has a VGA connection, and he is likely to use it for gaming purposes at some point, are there any programs out there that will upconvert the video from a computer DVD drive?

rex 02-11-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbeenie (Post 19717)
Hmmmm. I just thought of this: Since my friend's projector (720p) also has a VGA connection, and he is likely to use it for gaming purposes at some point, are there any programs out there that will upconvert the video from a computer DVD drive?

You could check out WinDVD and PowerDVD. I know they upconvert; so that might work.

jdouthett 02-13-2009 03:39 PM

I have a couple options that have worked for me.

1 VINC DVD player. Upconverts SD DVD through DVI, no HDCP
2 HDMI Switch with Toshiba HD-DVD player My Toshiba allows upconvert of SD DVD through 4X1 switch over HDMI without HDCP
3 HD-Fury converts DVI/HDCP to VGA

My target is Sanyo PLV-70 with DVI and no HDCP

JAM 02-13-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbeenie (Post 19713)

A subjet which has made go through extensive research on-line for a solution. Don't waste your time like I did trying to hunt down one of the handful of DVD models that allowed upscaling though the component outputs. All the companies that made them stopped producing them a few years ago to please the Hollywood studios. Every now and ten you may see one creep out onto the used market (e.g. eBay) but most are low quality players that leave much to be desired in terms of picture quality.

THERE IS A SOLUTION for all early HDTV adopters, which own sets that only have component inputs and/or RGB inputs.

A company in Taiwan called HKmod (www.hkmod.com) produces a dongle like device named "HDfury2" that has an HDMI input and an RGB output on the other end to which you can connect a (supplied) short RGB to component cable. This device supports HDMI 1.3 with HDCP handshaking. Therefore, you can take the HDMI ouput from a Blu-ray or upscaling DVD player, connect this device through an HDMI cable and connect its component output to your HDTV. The small device is a highly integrated solution containing 5 chips, two of which are substantially bigger, a 200 MHz 11 bits HDMI receiver/processor and a video DAC on the other side.

You can see the specs for the HDfury2 on: www.hdfury.com. The current hardware revision is 1.3. It sells for $249 (S&H anywhere included). From what I've read, most people that have purchased one are elated with it's performance and picture quality.

The recommended and authorized sales agent is Curt Palme (www.curtpalme.com). They seem to give a good guarantee with a replacement policy for a newer hardware revision if you're affected by an issue.

For more opinions, you can read the HDfury2 forum on the Curt Palme website or the HDfury2 thread from the AVS forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1083334

I plan on buying one myself. I'm just waiting for Oppo to release their BDP-83 Blu-ray player as I don't have an upscaling HDMI equipped DVD player.

At last, us early HDTV adopters can now have our cake and eat in HD! ;-)