Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players-24/)
-   -   Need help in recommending Blu-Ray purchase! (http://www.avrev.com/forum/blu-ray-players/2953-need-help-recommending-blu-ray-purchase.html)

brianathome 12-22-2008 05:06 PM

Need help in recommending Blu-Ray purchase!

Just started researching buying a Blu-Ray player and am lost!!! So could really use some help in recommending one that will best fit my system. I have a Mitsubishi WD-62725 DLP TV and a Yamaha RX V990 reciever-an oldie but goodie. I also have Mirage surround sound speaker system. I would like a Blu-Ray player to accomplish the following:1) maximize the picture of my TV-get the most out of its 1080i capability 2)get the most out of my current DVD collection 3)produce the best sound for my 5:1 system.
What I am not sure about-My computer is no where near my computer-can you connect a 2.0 player to a wireless router for firmware upgrades? My TV manual says it has HDMI hookup-is this the best way to go? It looks like the Panasonic DMP-BD55 and Sony BDP-S350 get good marks. Is it worth is to go up in price to a Denon or Pioneer? Have I overlooked an issue that would affect my system?

wes 12-22-2008 08:39 PM

Re: Need help in recommending Blu-Ray purchase!

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianathome (Post 19218)
I would like a Blu-Ray player to accomplish the following:

1) maximize the picture of my TV-get the most out of its 1080i capability
2)get the most out of my current DVD collection
3)produce the best sound for my 5:1 system.

What I am not sure about-My computer is no where near my computer-can you connect a 2.0 player to a wireless router for firmware upgrades? My TV manual says it has HDMI hookup-is this the best way to go? It looks like the Panasonic DMP-BD55 and Sony BDP-S350 get good marks. Is it worth is to go up in price to a Denon or Pioneer? Have I overlooked an issue that would affect my system?

- HDMi 1.3 is the best way to go as everything stays digital Audio and Video

- If you can wait get the new Oppo BDP-83H Blu Ray player and it should be the best if history repeats itself.
forget Denon or Pioneer they are not that great unless you are willing to spend $3800 to get the latest multi player from Denon! But I will be that the Oppo will match it for $499-$599

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

rex 12-23-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianathome (Post 19218)
Just started researching buying a Blu-Ray player and am lost!!! So could really use some help in recommending one that will best fit my system. I have a Mitsubishi WD-62725 DLP TV and a Yamaha RX V990 reciever-an oldie but goodie. I also have Mirage surround sound speaker system. I would like a Blu-Ray player to accomplish the following:1) maximize the picture of my TV-get the most out of its 1080i capability 2)get the most out of my current DVD collection 3)produce the best sound for my 5:1 system.

I would stay away from the Sony which is a lousy player. The Panasonic would be a much better choice. However, for the same price you could get a Samsung BD-P2550/2500 which has superior upconverting capabilities due it is Reon HQV video processor in order to "get the most of your current DVD collection". Keeping the player connected to the internet via the ethernet port (thru either a wired or wireless router/switch) not only facilitates keeping the firmware up-to-date, but allows you to enjoy the BD-live (profile 2.0) content, and with the Samsung also allows you to receive Netflix/Pandora streaming downloads.

faberryman 12-23-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rex (Post 19232)
I would stay away from the Sony which is a lousy player. The Panasonic would be a much better choice. However, for the same price you could get a Samsung BD-P2550/2500 which has superior upconverting capabilities due it is Reon HQV video processor in order to "get the most of your current DVD collection". Keeping the player connected to the internet via the ethernet port (thru either a wired or wireless router/switch) not only facilitates keeping the firmware up-to-date, but allows you to enjoy the BD-live (profile 2.0) content, and with the Samsung also allows you to receive Netflix/Pandora streaming downloads.

To the best of my knowledge, the Samsung BD2500/2550 does not internally decode DTS-MA. I don't know whether that feature can be added with a future upgrade or not.

wes 12-23-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faberryman (Post 19233)
To the best of my knowledge, the Samsung BD2500/2550 does not internally decode DTS-MA. I don't know whether that feature can be added with a future upgrade or not.

Panasonic are very nice look in Home Theater Mag a very nice review.

http://hometheatermag.com/discplayer...u-ray_players/

rex 12-23-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faberryman (Post 19233)

Within the next month a firmware upgrade will add internal decoding of DTS HD MA. It already decodes Dolby TrueHD, and bitstreams both HD audio codecs. It also has 7.1 analog outputs for older receivers.