Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 12-13-2008   #1
rex

Default Samsung BD-P2550

I am very impressed with the Sammy 2550 profile 2.0 BD player. The load times are quick. Some have said the upconverting of regular DVDs is better than with the Toshiba HD-XA2 which is possible since it uses a newer version of the famous Silicon Optix's Reon HQV video post processor. All I know is that my collection of DVD's have never looked better. Iit decodes (as well as bitsreams) the HD audio codecs. (Onboard decoding DTS HD MA will be implemented by a firmware update within the coming month.) It even has 7.1 analog outputs for use with older receivers. All in all it has got to be the best value in BD players available right now. I got mine for just over $300 at Best Buy with a free copy of The Dark Knight. This is less than what I could buy a 2500 for on line at places like Amazon, etc. The 2500 is identical but lacks the Pandora music streaming ability, a very nice feature which I originally didn't expect to use at all. It works great for playing background music when you are not watching anything.
I didn't originally expect to use the Netflix and Pandora streaming capabilities much, but I am very pleasantly surprised how well they both work. Clearly Netflix is working hard now to position itself for a future when streaming downloads may displace physical media. Sometime in the future they will most likely start charging extra for these dowloads, like Vudu does. Even on a large screen (67") the quality of the streaming downloads appears suprisingly good. So far I have actually been watching more dowloads than Blu-ray movies. The HD downloads are clearly not as good as Blu-ray, but they are noticeably better than regular DVD quality. Unfortunately bandwidth limits resolutions to 720p without HD audio. Most movies play without interruption after buffering first for about 30 seconds. The 1G internal memory is also used for BD-live content; so there is not need to add an SD memory card. It is silly how many profile 2.0 manufacurers are too cheap to include onboard memory, so you have to buy a memory card in order to use the BD-live feature. Another nice thing about having it connected to the internet via ethernet jack, is automatically updating the firmware, so you never have to worry about having the latest version. Assuming that Samsung's past compatability issues have been resolved, I can't see any reason why anyone would want to buy any other player. This is the first affordable high quality BD player on the market. The oppo BD83 which is not yet available may be superior when finally released, but it will also cost twice as much, and not offer any streaming download capability. If you are in the market for a new BD player, you should definitely give this one some thought.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #2

Default Re: Samsung BD-P2550

Sounds really good. However, it seems to me for that you be better off renting Blu-Ray movies to get the most quality and the best out of your display.

Why settle? Isn`t that why we go Hi-Def in the first place?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #3
rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Sounds really good. However, it seems to me for that you be better off renting Blu-Ray movies to get the most quality and the best out of your display. Why settle? Isn`t that why we go Hi-Def in the first place?
Quite right. Blu-ray has the best quality in both video and audio. Even VUDU and DishNetwork, which both now offer 1080p downloads, don't have lossless audio. Someday streaming dowloads may replace Blu-ray; but I think it will be several years at least before that happens. Most of the stuff I download from Netflix is in SD anyway, like favorite episodes from The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, etc. Since much of the material in the free Netflix archive was never in HD, I doubt it would be any better on BD and may never be released on BD. Still the streaming dowload capabilities of the 2550 are useful features for anyone considering buying a new BD player.
Old 02-24-2009   #4
rex

Default Re: Samsung BD-P2500

Home Theater Magazine recently had a very favorable review of the Samsung BD-P2500: http://www.hometheatermag.com/discpl...yer/index.html
They made it a "Top Pick" for Blu-ray players.
Old 03-05-2009   #5
rex

PCWorld also ranked the Sammy BD-P2500 the best Blu-ray player in there reviews of the top ten players giving it the highest score 83.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16022...o_bluchip.html
Sponsored Links

Tags
2500, 2550, analog, bd, bd2500, bdp2550, forum, hdxa2, play, price, problems, profile, samsung, subwoofer, toshiba