Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 11-24-2008   #1
jbk

Default Netflix streaming with Blu-Ray?

Hello All,

Is anyone streaming Netflix via their Blu-Ra player?

What brand and model performs best?

How is the picture quality?

Is it 1080p??

How about a reveiw testing the download from Netflix via blu ray?

JBK
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #2
rex

Default Re: Netflix streaming with Blu-Ray?

Check out this review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/video-player...3.html?subj=re

Samsung BDP-2550 with Netflix and Pandora streaming.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008   #3
jbk

Rex,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm trying to limit my hardware. Potentially, a one box solution for CD/blu-ray/DVD play back. I realize this maybe wishful thinking on my part without spending real money.

How good is the Samsung at CD playback?

Sorry about the ramble, the wife is calling!!

JBK
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #4
rex

Default Re: Netflix HD streaming with Blu-Ray?

I think my next BD player will also be the Sammy BDP-2500. A firmware update now provides for Netflix streaming of HD content. (True most of Netflix 12,000+ titles are now available in SD only. Even the HD content is limited to 720p to reduce buffering delays and lacks HD audio.) Still 300 bucks for a 2.0 BD player with decodes the HD audio codecs and has superior upconversion due the the Reon HQV post processor is currently the best value in BD players. The only difference between the 2500 and the 2550 is that the 2550 also supports Pandora audio streaming. Presumably the Reon processing will improve the upconversion of the Netflix downloads as well as DVDs. And hopefully Samsung has overcome its notorious past compatibility issues with BD players.
Old 12-16-2008   #5

Does anyone know if the blu-ray player has to have special hardware to handle netflix streaming or is it something that can be added through a firmware. I just purchased a Panasonic DMP BD35 that is equiped with an ethernet port and profile 2.0. I was just wondering if Panasonic could add this feature.
CliffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #6
rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffH View Post
Does anyone know if the blu-ray player has to have special hardware to handle netflix streaming or is it something that can be added through a firmware. I just purchased a Panasonic DMP BD35 that is equiped with an ethernet port and profile 2.0. I was just wondering if Panasonic could add this feature.
Streaming capability is a special feature of the design of the BD-P2550; LG also has a Blu-ray player with the same streaming capability built-in. If you want to keep the DMP-BD35, you could get a separate stand alone streaming player like Roku for about $100: http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/
Or, you may still be able to return it, and get the Samsung BD-P2550.
Sponsored Links

Tags
55, bd, blu, bluray, center, dmpbd, dvdplaycom, forum, media, netflix, panasonic, pandora, ray, stream, streaming