Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 06-18-2009   #7

Default Re: Is Blu-Ray worth it with a 720P plasma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
I agree, you should see much improvement over SD DVD's.
I have a 50" DLP at 720p and you can definitely see the better picture from BD and HD DVD. We also have a 37" LCD 1080p TV and the HD picture is great but of course with a larger set the 1080p picture would be fantastic. Although I lost in the format war when I went with HD DVD I have now switched to BD. HD is far better than SD even when upconverted whether BD or HD DVD at 720p and even better at 1080p. My next bigger TV will be 1080p and maybe they will even throw in a BD player, bonus!
plaplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #8

Thanks to everyone for their comments, which overwhelmingly lean towards Blu-Ray being appreciably-superior even on a 720P TV.

Now the real cookie-crumbler...is it worth spending $2,000 for a high-end player, or will a $400 Panasonic or Sony player provide the same goosebumps as the premier offerings from Denon or Meridian? Off we go...!

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtGrfx View Post
Thanks to everyone for their comments, which overwhelmingly lean towards Blu-Ray being appreciably-superior even on a 720P TV.

Now the real cookie-crumbler...is it worth spending $2,000 for a high-end player, or will a $400 Panasonic or Sony player provide the same goosebumps as the premier offerings from Denon or Meridian? Off we go...!
From what I have heard and read - video wise the low end players are probably very close to the high end and HDMI output would give about the same in audio.
Analog video and audio would be probably be much better on the high end machines, you do get what you pay for sometimes but you have to decide if the premium is worth the extra expense. If you just won the lottery I would say go with that new Pioneer at $2000, but be prepared to upgrade everything else you have to take advantage of it's features. In 6 months something better and cheaper will be available, but only do it if you won the lottery.
Old 08-12-2009   #10

I have untill recently used a Pioneer 50"HD ready panel with a Pioneer blu ray player .......set the player to Auto Resolution and this upscaled DVDs to 1080i with stunning success and blurays looked great at that resolution .

Now bought a Sony XBR 55" HD LCD/LED panel which has a stunning pic and still using the Pioneer .when set to Auto DVD is upscaled to 1080p and 1080i blu rays to 1080p as well .
Result: DVD- pic is very soft lacking detail ;
Bluray - if the native redolution is 1080i , the 1080p pic is marginally softer .

Had Pioneer in ....used another player with same results - they said it was the panel not accepting the upscaled picture and faulty .
Had Sony in to check the panel , set the Blu ray player to "Native resolution" and let the panel do all the upscaling and all pics were absolutely great .Sony says nothing wrong with the panel as the issue is that the panel must do the upscaling from 480i to 1080p and not to do this in the player - always output the native resolution to a full HD panel is the message , as the panel must do the scaling and not both .

Question really is :
1.what wud happen if I did not have a Blu ray player capable of a " Native Resolution" setting - wud I just have to live with a bad picture and how does one fix this ?
2.Why is this happening and are the issues raised by Sony correct and apllicable to all HD panels ?

I took my DVD to a retailer and did the same test on the same panel .....same results .

any comments /explanation???
Thanks you
sofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofer View Post
I have untill recently used a Pioneer 50"HD ready panel with a Pioneer blu ray player .......set the player to Auto Resolution and this upscaled DVDs to 1080i with stunning success and blurays looked great at that resolution .

Now bought a Sony XBR 55" HD LCD/LED panel which has a stunning pic and still using the Pioneer .when set to Auto DVD is upscaled to 1080p and 1080i blu rays to 1080p as well .
Result: DVD- pic is very soft lacking detail ;
Bluray - if the native redolution is 1080i , the 1080p pic is marginally softer .

Had Pioneer in ....used another player with same results - they said it was the panel not accepting the upscaled picture and faulty .
Had Sony in to check the panel , set the Blu ray player to "Native resolution" and let the panel do all the upscaling and all pics were absolutely great .Sony says nothing wrong with the panel as the issue is that the panel must do the upscaling from 480i to 1080p and not to do this in the player - always output the native resolution to a full HD panel is the message , as the panel must do the scaling and not both .

Question really is :
1.what wud happen if I did not have a Blu ray player capable of a " Native Resolution" setting - wud I just have to live with a bad picture and how does one fix this ?
2.Why is this happening and are the issues raised by Sony correct and apllicable to all HD panels ?

I took my DVD to a retailer and did the same test on the same panel .....same results .

any comments /explanation???
Thanks you
An article by Terry Paullin that I found on the net somewhere that my or not explain things!

98 percent of you don’t get it!
Terry Paullin

Calm down. I an NOT casting aspersions on your intellectual prowess. I am referring, instead, to that magic and evermore elusive Holy Grail, “1080p.”
The digital transition, finally complete as you read this, has caused many folks to re-evaluate their A/V entertainment needs and eventually take the plunge into high-definition television.
While many 720p (720 progressively scanned horizontal lines of resolution) sets were sold, especially in the early days, more recently the alphanumeric “720p” has been the kiss of death for retailers. If it ain’t 1080p, it ain’t S…well, Sellable. This notion is unfortunate, really, because in many applications the difference in resolution is of little or no consequence.
Consider the case of a 40-inch panel viewed at 12 feet—few could tell the difference. There are so many other determinants that make a real difference in picture quality (contrast ratio and colorimetry, for openers), that for many consumers, taking advantage of a 720 “blow-out” sale should be a no-brainer. But for those who must pursue the BIG number, there are some things you should know if you want to be numbered in that other 2 percent.
Let’s start with the obvious. Some folks think that if it says “1080p” on the back of the Blu-ray Disc™ jacket that is what they will get, no matter what. Well, maybe not. If they bought a 720p display, or if they don’t know WHAT they bought, just that it said (legitimately) High Definition on the front panel, they will, of course, never see 1080p on that panel—there is that matter of throwing away the extra 1,152,000 pixels before the set can render an image. (I said obvious!) “But I bought a display (LCD, DLP, Plasma, LCoS—doesn’t matter) with a native matrix of 1080 by 1920,” you say, “Surely, I’m good to go,” Uhh......probably not, I counter.
Let’s start with the myriad of potential problems with settings.
First, most all Blu-ray Disc players have output resolution settings. If you want 1080p, you might have to put it there, as opposed to some other factory-default resolution. Some displays won’t accept 1080p directly, so you may have to set the device that feeds it to 1080i output, letting the display do the de-interlacing (you can never actually watch “i” anything on non-CRT displays—they can only display a progressively scanned signal).
If the BD player is set correctly, the signal’s next stop may be an A/V receiver. Many new receivers have output resolution settings as well, so they may need attention. Ditto if the signal makes an additional stop at an outboard video processor, not uncommon in a modern installation (especially if I did it).
You are clean so far, right? Now come several circumstances that will knock you out of contention for true 1080 without even realizing it.
First is the display “mode.” If you select anything other than a native pixel mapping, aka “dot-for-dot”; “pixel-for-pixel”; or on an LG display, “Just Scan”; you will not see the 1,080 horizontal lines that just came down the pipe. That means if you use “Zoom,” “Letterbox,” “Intelligent Zoom,” or even one click of “Overscan,” often deployed to rid the screen of those pesky little white retrace lines at the top on selective broadcast channels, you’re not getting full 1080. In the case of a front projector, one click of horizontal or vertical “keystone” correction will cause a similar error, robbing you of true 1080. While the visual result may not be blatantly obvious on “normal” content, a simple test pattern will confirm the toxic effect any of the above will have on our precious 1080p.
Calibrators and competent custom installers will be familiar with a test pattern called “Multi-burst.” It shows alternating black and white vertical stripes. First many, then fewer and fewer, until we try to discern one pixel on, one off. Think of it as a frequency-response test for video imagery. If you were to view this pattern in a “dot-for-dot” mode, you would likely see clean, pixel-wide stripes in the high-frequency portion of the pattern. Now introduce one click (often 1 percent) of overscan and watch the pattern get destroyed. The same will happen to an even greater degree with any attempt at scaling (Zoom, Letterbox, etc). Once you see the severe signal degradation any of those adjustments cause, you will know that you have lost the clean 1080p that you so zealously sought.
There are many similar “Gotchas” in the Blu-ray™-influenced, video-processed, HD world we currently live in. While this stuff still isn’t rocket science, a little professional help in the form of test equipment, test patterns, and the more important, experience in their use, is more welcome than ever before to ensure you are “getting it,” in the broadest sense. I walk into situations every day where signal integrity has been compromised by an inadvertent wrong setting, an overlooked default, or even an explored, but misinterpreted menu item. The permutations and possibilities are so numerous that I have no trouble with the alleged 98 percent number. Thinking back, it may be even more of a stretch to imagine that 2 percent got everything right!
I encourage all to take the little extra time (and expense, if necessary) to wring the most out of your investment. Like the constant chant of this magazine, insuring the “Best that it can be” will pay daily, significant rewards. Once you’ve made the investment, the difference between a “looks okay to me” picture and the RIGHT picture is simply a matter of understanding and paying attention to the adjustments.
Good Viewing!
Old 08-13-2009   #12

I was in BestBuy yesterday, they had in a demo room. Set up was a Mitsubishi front projector, 1080p.
I had them play the Bourne Idenity. I have this disc and play it at home. The picture was inferior to
my Marantz 720P front projector. The screen was the same size and the room was dark.
Specs are not everything and not necessarily an indication of the performance.
PalmHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
42, 720p, blu, blu-ray, blue, bluray, buy, disc, dvd, hdtv, it, plasma, player, ray, worth