Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 05-15-2009   #37

Default Re: OPPO BDP-83 Bluray player

I've had mine for a few days now, bitstreaming everything to D2v and it sounds fantastic! The picture quality is also superb on both blu-ray and regular DVDs. Load times are fast and the inclusion of 232 port was a nice touch for those of us with control systems.
laelops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009   #38

I ordered my BDP-83 the day it became available to those signing up for early interest. I received it on May 14. It is a superb unit. Mine does not suffer from any of the quirks of the Beta versions...except one: It will not play HDCD-encoded CDs properly, either failing completely to pass the HDCD portion of the data through HDMI or coax/optical digital output, or, in many cases, passing it intermittently, causing audible "clicks" in the program material which coincide with the HDCD flag on my receiver's display going on and off. The player's display continues to indicate there is an HDCD disc in the machine, but the circuitry seems to have trouble locking on to the encoded portion of the signal. I have written to OPPO about this, and I have no doubt it will be dealt with expeditiously. This is otherwise a superb player, and to have another way of playing all of my other discs is a plus. And it runs very, very cool.
scheinrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by laelops View Post
I've had mine for a few days now, bitstreaming everything to D2v and it sounds fantastic! The picture quality is also superb on both blu-ray and regular DVDs. Load times are fast and the inclusion of 232 port was a nice touch for those of us with control systems.
laelops

I am considering the D2v so I can use HDMI for audio as well as video. Would you provide your opinions regarding the D2v?
ChiefTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009   #40

Overall I highly recommend it, it's a tremendous piece, more specifically:

positives:
- top notch digital processing, sounds better than the D2 did which was already very very good - the inclusion of 192 in is great for the HRX recordings which have to be heard to be believed
- ARC room correction does a very nice job, using it in a very tough room with wall of glass and open back wall
- video processing is better (IMO) than the anchor bay and realta solutions, actually makes DirecTV watcheable
- highly configurable, multiple zones
- great ergonomics
- analog section is top notch, use only for CD playback with Linn Sondek CD12 (simply the best piece of audio equipment ever produced)

negatives:
- some minor HDMI handshake issues, but they seem to be solving quickly through firmware updates
- 2nd HDMI output is parallel, so to have video on zone 2 or 3 you need to run component cables too
- very sensitive power supply, make sure you are feeding it nice clean power

If want any additional information about specific areas, just ping me.
laelops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #41
rex

Default Anchor Bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laelops View Post
- video processing is better (IMO) than the anchor bay and realta solutions, actually makes DirecTV watcheable.
I thought it used Anchor Bay VRS video processing, just like the 983H?
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #42

- video processing is better (IMO) than the anchor bay and realta solutions, actually makes DirecTV watcheable

laelops:

Thanks for your response. I consider your remarks to be very helpful.

Based on your statement about video processing, I assume you are using the D2v's video processing as opposed to the BDP-83's video passed through thereby using the Anthem for switiching only.

Considering the HDMI handshake connectivity problems, can you A-B the Anthem and Oppo video processing quickly and easily?

Thanks again for your help.
ChiefTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
83, bdp33, bdp83, blu, bluray, date, forum, forums, january, manual, oppo, owner, player, ray, release