Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 03-30-2010   #85

Default Re: OPPO BDP-83 Bluray player

Anyone hear of Oppo building a Media Server now? With their comdex and universal format strenghts I would think they could build THE market winner. Add 1TB of disk storage. Store everything (Blu-ray, DVD, CD, SACD, online files, etc.). Same outputs as the BDP-83. Add a decent UI software.

I would buy it today!

CaliFan
CaliFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #86

I have heard that Blu-Ray players with their more narrow blue light beams are more likely to react negatively to small defects on discs.Would that include regular DVD'S as wel as Blu-Ray discs.By the way,how do they read regular DVD'S compared to Blu-Ray discs.Do they use the same narrow Blu-Ray beam of light on regular DVD'S.
xsavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #87

Default OPPO BDP-83 Bluray player Reliability + still a steal?

Hi. Can anyone comment on OPPO reliability? Some online user reviews indicate that problems exist with quality control and customer support, but it is hard to know whether to believe these comments or not (many of the reviewers just don't know much).

Another question for the group: given that my new receiver handles HDMI, is the BDP-83 still the "universal" player of choice for those of us with relatively small budgets? I'd like access to SACD and upsampling of DVDs, plus blu-ray, and I suppose DVD-A (I don't have any DVD-As, but there is a cart/horse issue since I can't play them). This will be for an A/V setup, not my two-channel (budget 'phile) rig where I have a SONY ES stereo SACD player.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2010   #88

Default Re: OPPO BDP-83 Bluray player Reliability + still a steal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemrat View Post
Hi. Can anyone comment on OPPO reliability? Some online user reviews indicate that problems exist with quality control and customer support, but it is hard to know whether to believe these comments or not (many of the reviewers just don't know much).

Another question for the group: given that my new receiver handles HDMI, is the BDP-83 still the "universal" player of choice for those of us with relatively small budgets? I'd like access to SACD and upsampling of DVDs, plus blu-ray, and I suppose DVD-A (I don't have any DVD-As, but there is a cart/horse issue since I can't play them). This will be for an A/V setup, not my two-channel (budget 'phile) rig where I have a SONY ES stereo SACD player.

Thanks!
Like all mass-produced products there are occasional issues with individual units. Oppo is quite responsive in repairing or replacing the few that have problems. They typically turn around any problems in a day or two which is unheard of from any other manufacturer I am familiar with. These problems are quite infrequent in my experience. I know several people who have Oppos and none have experienced any problems.

Oppo is also quite responsive in getting out firmware updates when needed. All of the early firmware problems have been addressed and new features (such as support for DLNA streaming) have been added to the player.

If you want the best upscaling, then the BDP-83 is still the way to go. If slightly lesser upscaling is OK and you can do without the DLNA streaming but want all the other features of the 83 then you might want to look at the new Oppo BDP-80 which is $210 cheaper.
JazzGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #89

Default OPPO BDP-83 Bluray player

I signed up to be one of the early purchasers of this player. I confess that I bought my first and only, Philips BluRay from Target, at Christmas time and found it to be OK. Of course, I was an early adopter of the extinct, Toshiba HD-DVD player, also. Anyway, the Philips player has performed fairly well and the other annoyances (slow loading, etc) that people complain about seem tolerable - who cares how long it takes to load the disk (within reason)? Having said all of that, the BDP-83 is incredible - got mine a week or so ago. The video, even on standard DVDs is amazing. I have not used all the features, yet, and I am not the most critical or demanding customer - I say Oppo has a winner, here! Highly recommended!

Thanks
peterbabu020910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #90

I desire they end up adding DVD Frequence ability. I hit a figure of DVD Frequency discs as compartment as SACDs and this will enable to record hearing to this divide while using my existing preamp processor(Outlaw 950).

Tags
83, bdp33, bdp83, blu, bluray, date, forum, forums, january, manual, oppo, owner, player, ray, release