Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 12-23-2009   #73

Default Re: OPPO BDP-83 Bluray player

Since I use the analog outs into a Lexicon MC-12B, I was very encouraged about the new Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition until I read that the DACs are not audiophile grade, but instead, are cheapo DACs used in entry level players.

Can anyone provide information on this issue based on personal experience with either the Oppo SE unit or the ESS Technology 8-channel Sabre Premier (ES9006) DAC chip for its 7.1 multi-channel output and the 8-channel Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016) DAC chip used for the Left and Right channels.

If these DACs are the high quality audiophile grade claimed by Oppo, this is an easy decision. If not, perhaps it's one I should just pass on.

Thanks for any help.
ChiefTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #74

The DACs in the Oppo BDP-83SE are quite high quality audiophile-grade. Early reviews have been very favorable, particularly for the stereo out jacks for both standard CD and stereo SACD. There is also a slightly higher upgrade using the same DACs but with other circuit improvements available from NuForce. This upgrade is done in cooperation with Oppo and comes with a full warranty, unlike a lot of independent mods. I am having my BDP-83 upgraded to the SE spec by Oppo and will have it in about a week to 10 days. I will try to comment further then.
JazzGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
The DACs in the Oppo BDP-83SE are quite high quality audiophile-grade. Early reviews have been very favorable, particularly for the stereo out jacks for both standard CD and stereo SACD. There is also a slightly higher upgrade using the same DACs but with other circuit improvements available from NuForce. This upgrade is done in cooperation with Oppo and comes with a full warranty, unlike a lot of independent mods. I am having my BDP-83 upgraded to the SE spec by Oppo and will have it in about a week to 10 days. I will try to comment further then.
I look forward to reading your comments after you receive the upgraded unit.
ChiefTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefTK View Post
I look forward to reading your comments after you receive the upgraded unit.
I've been living with it for about 3 weeks now. The sound is at least a couple of cuts above the standard 83 played through analog. I have never heard any of the mega-kilobuck CD or SACD players but the 83SE is the best CD/SACD player I have ever heard. The big difference is the incredible clarity of everything through it. You can easily follow every single instrument on a recording and things normally lost in the mix can be heard. At the extremes, the bass is a hair tighter and at the upper end cymbals sound more like the real thing than I have every heard except from vinyl on a high quality 'table/cartridge combination. If I had know how good it would sound, I would have gladly paid twice the $300 the upgrade cost me.
JazzGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #77

Smile Re: OPPO BDP-83 Bluray player

Boy, now I'm really bummed I bought that LG BR390 last year. It has total crap audio DACs, lol. Guess I'd better save up for the BDP-83SE!

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #78

Default OPPO BDP-83 SE - 2 channels audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
I have never heard any of the mega-kilobuck CD or SACD players but the 83SE is the best CD/SACD player I have ever heard. The big difference is the incredible clarity of everything through it. You can easily follow every single instrument on a recording and things normally lost in the mix can be heard. At the extremes, the bass is a hair tighter and at the upper end cymbals sound more like the real thing
All I can say is JazzGuyy is right.

I sold my Chord DAC64 MkII a few months ago and I was supposed to replace it with a McIntosh MCD500 CD/SACD Player.

To make a long story short, cash for the McIntosh MCD500 was not available for the next 6 months and I had to do something because my ears were acking badly with the sound coming out of my Sony CDP-605ESD (1989) without the Chrod DAC64 MKII.

I had read about the excellent reviews of the OPPO BDP-83SE and even a comparison made between the McIntosh MCD500 and the OPPO BDP-83SE and the result were quite good for the OPPO so I gave it a shot.

I received the unit last wednesday and after only of few hours of break-in I can say the sound quality is really there.

Lots of detail in the midrange and high frequency and good presence in the bass.
(to get the best results don't forget to go in the menu and do the setup for 2 channels)

I can say that as soon as you have a good CD Player with excellent DAC's it's easy to sort the good recordings from the bad.

The ultimate test was with the CD Comin' from a Good Place (Sheffield Lab CD-6 10006-2) featuring Harry James ... the orchestra was in my Living room with al their instruments.

Also listening to a Sacred Music on Fidelio CD (THE SEVEN WORDS OF CHRIST , Théodore Dubois - FACD008) was stunning experiment ...so much details in the instruments, chorus, not to mention the outstanding reproduction of the ultra low registery from the organ.

It's the best CD player I have owned yet irregardless of the price tag.

Last edited by Mcintosh Man; 01-26-2010 at 09:04 PM..
Mcintosh Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
83, bdp33, bdp83, blu, bluray, date, forum, forums, january, manual, oppo, owner, player, ray, release