Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 11-11-2009   #67

Default Re: OPPO BDP-83 Bluray player

I'm not sure what these upgrades mean,but are they,in your opinion,really that amazing.Under what circumstances would they come shining through.
xsavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #68

The upgrade offered requires you to send in your BDP-83 at your cost. Oppo will replace the audio board that includes the upgraded DAC's, the power supply board and the rear panel that includes an RS232 port. The cost is $299 plus shipment to Oppo. The clock will reset and extend the original warranty.

The new DAC's are designed to specifically improve analog audio performance. The upgrade is not recommended for those using HDMI for both video and audio.

The link is: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...adeOption.aspx
ChiefTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #69

The only way to know for sure if these upgrades are all that amazing is to listen for yourself. Unfortunately, I don't think that you can get an audition short of actually purchasing a unit. I was disappointed in the standard BDP-83's audio, especially thru the HDMI connection. The analog out sounded better, but not on par with my DV9600. I wish there were some way to audition an upgraded player before sending my unit in and hoping that the improvements will be worth it. I purchased the BDP-83 based on a number of reviews touting it as a giant killer. I think the reviewers were too kind as It didn't kill my giant. Now, even though the standard unit has had glowing reviews, Oppo decides that an upgrade will make it much better? If the standard unit has been compared favorably with units costing 2 to 3 times its price, where will the upgraded version fall in the pecking order?

There is one thing that Oppo could do that would have me ordering an upgrade immediately. Provide support for uncompressed/lossless WAV/FLAC files via the USB interface. I don't quite understand why DVD-A (MLP) is the only lossless format supported. Is it because it's near impossible to find a reasonably priced program that can rip to it? I also don't understand why they would support MP3 and WMA at all. I just can't see someone purchasing a BDP-83 so that they can listen to compressed audio!

If any readers of this forum know of any software (shareware preferred) that can convert WAV to DVD-A or directly rip a CD to DVD-A please post it in this forum AND send an email to Oppo requesting support for other uncompressed formats via the USB port, especially for the SE version. The ability to use the player as a DAC should appeal to a large audience. After all, we already have DACs in our receivers/pre-pro's and in our disc players. Do we really have to purchase another one so that we can listen to files downloaded from HDTracks and other Hi-rez providers? I assume that I'm not the only person who thinks that connecting a USB hard drive to the Oppo is preferable to booting up a computer every time one wants to listen to music.

All that being said, as a Blu-Ray player this thing rocks! It loads fast and DTS Master and Dolby HD sound tracks are awesome! The AIX Blu-Ray sampler sent with the unit demonstrates the format as being the one capable of replacing CD and SACD. I definitely intend to add some AIX BD's to my library.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #70

The only way to know for sure if these upgrades are all that amazing is to listen for yourself. Unfortunately, I don't think that you can get an audition short of actually purchasing a unit. I was disappointed in the standard BDP-83's audio, especially thru the HDMI connection. The analog out sounded better, but not on par with my DV9600. I wish there were some way to audition an upgraded player before sending my unit in and hoping that the improvements will be worth it. I purchased the BDP-83 based on a number of reviews touting it as a giant killer. I think the reviewers were too kind as It didn't kill my giant. Now, even though the standard unit has had glowing reviews, Oppo decides that an upgrade will make it much better? If the standard unit has been compared favorably with units costing 2 to 3 times its price, where will the upgraded version fall in the pecking order?

There is one thing that Oppo could do that would have me ordering an upgrade immediately. Provide support for uncompressed/lossless WAV/FLAC files via the USB interface. I don't quite understand why DVD-A (MLP) is the only lossless format supported. Is it because it's near impossible to find a reasonably priced program that can rip to it? I also don't understand why they would support MP3 and WMA at all. I just can't see someone purchasing a BDP-83 so that they can listen to compressed audio!

If any readers of this forum know of any software (shareware preferred) that can convert WAV to DVD-A or directly rip a CD to DVD-A please post it in this forum AND send an email to Oppo requesting support for other uncompressed formats via the USB port, especially for the SE version. The ability to use the player as a DAC should appeal to a large audience. After all, we already have DACs in our receivers/pre-pro's and in our disc players. Do we really have to purchase another one so that we can listen to files downloaded from HDTracks and other Hi-rez providers? I assume that I'm not the only person who thinks that connecting a USB hard drive to the Oppo is preferable to booting up a computer every time one wants to listen to music.

All that being said, as a Blu-Ray player this thing rocks! It loads fast and DTS Master and Dolby HD sound tracks are awesome! The AIX Blu-Ray sampler sent with the unit demonstrates the format as being the one capable of replacing CD and SACD. I definitely intend to add some AIX BD's to my library.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009   #71

Who wants to sell me the entry Oppo BDP-83 because they are buying the upgrade?
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Who wants to sell me the entry Oppo BDP-83 because they are buying the upgrade?
I would like to purchase the new Special Edition and would be interested in selling my BD-83.
ChiefTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
83, bdp33, bdp83, blu, bluray, date, forum, forums, january, manual, oppo, owner, player, ray, release