Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Blu-ray Players

Blu-ray Players Discuss everything to do with the best in Blu-ray players.

Old 10-29-2008   #1
wes

Talking DTS MA DD TruHD and BDP-S550

I just got the BDP-S550 yesterday and here is my first impression so far

Positives:
- Half the size of the BDP-S300
- Looks and feel sturdy
- Decodes all format including DTS Master Audio
- Loads faster especially in stand-bymode
- Nice picture
- Made in Japan

Negatives:
- No gold connectors
- How annoying after you open the tray and put a disc in instead of being able to press play and have the player start you have to actually push close and then play!!!

I will add more as I get more experience unless I return this thing! I spoke with Sony tech support and now I am totally confused.

What Sony mentioned is that unless you have a pre/pro or receivers that can decode Dolby Tru HD and DTS Master Audio it doesn't matter if your player can decode these format you will only get down converted sound to DD and DTS???

So who is right?
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #2

Default Re: DTS MA DD TruHD and BDP-S550

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
- How annoying after you open the tray and put a disc in instead of being able to press play and have the player start you have to actually push close and then play!!!

WOW wes, I have the 350, and that isn't even something I was irked by, maybe mine doesn't do it, maybe I am just oblivious to it as it's in my BR system and I usually just push the tray in....

Quote:
unless you have a pre/pro or receivers that can decode Dolby Tru HD and DTS Master Audio it doesn't matter if your player can decode these format you will only get down converted sound to DD and DTS?
I think they mean if it doesn't handle bitstream, you will only get DD or DTS, as the 550 and 350 don't decode DTS HD MA as your current pre/pro doesn't do this (the Classe' 800 WILL)
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #3
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
WOW wes, I have the 350, and that isn't even something I was irked by, maybe mine doesn't do it, maybe I am just oblivious to it as it's in my BR system and I usually just push the tray in.... I think they mean if it doesn't handle bitstream, you will only get DD or DTS, as the 550 and 350 don't decode DTS HD MA as your current pre/pro doesn't do this (the Classe' 800 WILL)

Isn't LPCM uncompressed as well?
Old 10-30-2008   #4

Quote:
Isn't LPCM uncompressed as well?
LPCM is also uncompressed, as long as your pre/pro or receiver handles 24/192 input, either way the new sony's don't output DTS HD MA as LPCMM, only Dolby TrueHD.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
LPCM is also uncompressed, as long as your pre/pro or receiver handles 24/192 input, either way the new sony's don't output DTS HD MA as LPCMM, only Dolby TrueHD.
So why have onbord, high res DTS HD MA decoders, if the sound gets compressed back to a "lossy" format? My Denon 3808 receiver obviously displays which format when it is being fed as a bitstream. It will display "DTS-HD" or "Dolby TrueHD".

When fed uncompressed PCM or LPCM, it simply displays "Multi-channel" (or something like that). The bottom line is that I cannot tell if the receiver is getting fed LPCM or Uncompressed PCM.

Wes, look at page 66 of your manual (at least that is the page online). It has a table of how the different audio is output if the player is decoding it.
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #6
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Junky View Post
So why have onbord, high res DTS HD MA decoders, if the sound gets compressed back to a "lossy" format? My Denon 3808 receiver obviously displays which format when it is being fed as a bitstream. It will display "DTS-HD" or "Dolby TrueHD".

When fed uncompressed PCM or LPCM, it simply displays "Multi-channel" (or something like that). The bottom line is that I cannot tell if the receiver is getting fed LPCM or Uncompressed PCM.

Wes, look at page 66 of your manual (at least that is the page online). It has a table of how the different audio is output if the player is decoding it.
Page 66 says it is decoding DTS Master Audio?
Sponsored Links

Tags
3808, analog, bdps550, bluray, decode, decoder, denon, dts, dtsma, ma, player, receiver, s550, sony, truhd